Asked on Dec 28, 2014

Sound barrier in window

Country Design HomeShawn HTara K
+9

How can I make a sound barrier on a single window on the street in a condo? The traffic sounds are loud in the am and pm. I have two windows in that room so I prefer not to block the light if possible.
This is the window I want to create a sound barrier on.
  • Barbara Thomas
    Barbara Thomas

Replace the window. An upgrade in the window will stop the sound.

• Joy Smith
    Joy Smith

If you bought the condo, you can replace with window for relatively cheap. Switch to double or even triple paned windows. Check with your condo association first, they will want you to maintain the outside look of the building. Seriously, one small window is not that much money, you will be surprised. I'd offer you a free quote, but we only do business in Southern California.

• Susie
    Susie

I put stained glass window's in mine for privacy, they are just propped in the window and look really pretty!

• Kristy Marrero
    Kristy Marrero

storm windows work they have them for the inside and outside.

• Linda
      Linda

Kristy, I like your suggestion!! Does the storm window need to be installed (with caulk, etc.) completely in order for it to work best? Thank you for your time!!

• You can replace the windows but you need to see what the STC level is plus make sure it is installed properly or it might not do you any good. A few other tricks are - popping the trim & sealing up any air-leakage paths, install storm windows, plant a shrub or trees to act as a sound barrier, and / or add in heavy curtains / shutters.

• Susan Hogan
    Susan Hogan

Get a piece of foam insulation board (cheap). Cut to fit inside of window. Cover with nice fabric.

• Tara K
    Tara K

Have you tried bubble wrap?

• Shawn H
    Shawn H

I added a big triple pane window in the front of my house and it makes a huge difference.

• Country Design Home
    Country Design Home

There are companies that make a sound proofing window that fits right inside the opening of your current windows, no construction necessary. check this one: http://www.soundproofwindows.com/how-they-work/