Asked on Feb 16, 2015

Has anyone made art using glass and ceramic tiles?

Alisha DowlingDonnaJani Wolfe
+7

I have some really pretty deep blue glass tiles 3x10, lots of 12 by 12 sheets in various colors, and lots of ceramic tiles that I picked up at closeouts. I need suggestions of how to be creative with them. Would love to have light coming through the blue ones. Thanks!
  • Kuka
    Kuka

here's an idea: a mosaic http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Mosaics

• Susan
    Susan

You can break up the tiles in pillowcase with hammer or rubber mallet and cover old furniture or wooden chest with them. Then grout. You can do just about anything like a garden tabletop or indoor piece, it will come out beautifully no matter what!!!

• Jori Calvert
    Jori Calvert

I once saw a walkway done with glass bottles. They put the little white lights stringing them together then buried them neck down. It was the most beautiful light walkway I've ever seen. Maybe something like that? Imagination goes a long way. Good luck!

• Sandra M
      Sandra M

@Jori Calvert, what a cool project! I just love the look of lights and colored glass.

• Barbara Sawyer
    Barbara Sawyer

You can do a mosaic on an old window, using a small one you can hang it in front of a window, or prop it up. Another great way is to cover a bowling ball, for the garden, although you can't see through it adds a lot of interest to the green plants.

• Jani Wolfe
    Jani Wolfe

Find a pattern that you like and do a stained glass window. You can use your mosiac tiles as the four corners to tie into the pattern that you choose.

• Donna
    Donna

One easy, yet amazing art project - Take a simple picture frame with the glass still in it. Then break your glass and tiles into smaller pieces as described above. Use simple clear tile adhesive to glue the glass and tile pieces on the glass in the picture frame in whatever design you choose. You can either place the pieces very close together and leave it, or grout the piece once it is complete and dried.

• Donna
      Donna

@Sandra M Yes, I think so. I can't remember the name of the product I used, but I'm sure if you asked at Lowe's, they'd be able to find you the right adhesive. Just be sure it dries clear so it doesn't show through your glass. And you just need a little bit to stick your art glass to the glass in your frame. Good luck!

• Alisha Dowling
    Alisha Dowling

How about a multi pane window? Either framed in lead, or wood frames? Maybe just the outter frame, with regular glass in the center? Could go in any room in the house, or any size.