Asked on Mar 4, 2015

I was given an old fashion ice box, I'm not sure how to use it

MargeLinda SantoAnn
+6

I'm not sure how to use it, It's in good shape, it just needs to be painted. Any ideas?
  • Monica
    Monica

How old is the icebox? Do you plan on using it as a icebox or use it for something else?If you plan on using it as a icebox they do not get as cold as a refrigerator. Wont be as even all over. Also food will not keep as long. Just a thought

• Carol S
    Carol S

Wish i had a pic of what i did with an oak ice box. Refinished and topped with poly coating. Made great bar. Tall bottles on rt side. Glasses on shorter left side. Cocktail napkins etc where ice used to b stored. It was beautiful. Wish i stil had it. I left the insulation in tact because it was covered with metal of some sort and i wanted it to b as authentic as possible. Have fun with it!

• Terri Austill
    Terri Austill

If it's oak, refinish it, don't paint it! Refinished it's worth around $300-500. Painted, MAYBE $100.

• Allison
    Allison

I wouldn't paint it - just clean it up. Old ice boxes are GREAT for storing wine. They keep it at a perfect temp year round.

• Susan E
    Susan E

I have one my husband refinished in dark oak in about 1978. I use it to store my cookbooks. Mine has a wood smell inside, so I don't store anything that I would put in my mouth, such as wine glasses. Does yours have the metal frame inside? Allows for shelving without damaging the integrity of the icebox. I agree about refinishing vs painting: lowers the value considerably. Mine was originally painted lavender.

• Bonbon
    Bonbon

Freshen up the exterior and leave it the natural wood color. Then consider using the cabinet as a bar. Store glasses and bottles of liquor/wine. Or if you're not into that, store coffee/tea items and other beverage items.... sugar, creamer, special demi-spoons, straws, napkins. Your coffee maker could sit on top of the cabinet.

• Ann
    Ann

I have a 100+ year old family icebox that I made into a diabetic testing station. It holds all testing and insulin pump supplies. On top an Indian wooden box holds a BG meter and strips. I keep it in the hall. If you have no small children around you could keep your scripts (meds) inside, with your daily meds on top in a box. I have also placed a large mirror on the wall, and modern metal lamp on top. The natural wood of the icebox, paired with the white-washed Indian box and modern lamp look great together.

• Linda Santo
    Linda Santo

Mine holds my stereo system. Used the hole in the bottom where the water would drain out to run the wires.

• Marge
    Marge

Thanks for the ideas. I have one that we removed from a house we were remodeling years ago. It's time for me to remove the paint and use it !