Asked on Apr 20, 2015

Is there a natural mosquito repellant?

KmdreamerJeannie HermanM. M..
+15

I've heard and read so many ideas, including taking B vitamins because mosquitos don't like the way people smell when they take them- but does anyone have a method that will actually work and protect my kids?
  • Eglehawk
    Eglehawk

Avon skin so soft lotion. I used to use it when camping and never had a problem with bites.

• Capernius
    Capernius

If you REALLY want to stop skeeters in their tracks, use plants.... Lemon Balm (anything with a lemony smell to it also works), Peppermint plants(all mint plants will work, but Peppermint is the best), there is a Geranium that is called the skeeter plant(or something like that), citronella plants,.... there are a whole slew of plants you can plant in & around your yard to ward off mosquitoes. The very best thing you can do before spending any money or time, is to Google "Natural Mosquito Repellent ". the list that comes up will contain more information than you prolly know what to do with. )

• Gerald Skipper
    Gerald Skipper

I have beem taking garlic jell caps since my 30's. I'm 73 and I have NOT had a mosquito,tick,or chigger bite in 40 years! I take two pills a day.Works for me! P.S. Doesn't work on yellow flies.They don't care what they eat!

• Annie
    Annie

Try citronella as a cream or burn candels, they don't seem to like the smell of it. You can also grow some around your garden!

• Peggy
    Peggy

I absolutely use geranium oil in a water base to make a spray, if you plant them in pots around your deck, you will definitely notice the difference! These oils can be bought with other natural products in a healthfood store!

• K
    K

The new garlic and sugar spray around your yard lasts for about 3 weeks. It takes about a week to notice a difference, enjoy about 3 weeks without mosquitoes, then spray again. Make sure you spray all shrubs, plants, bushes, etc. It is safe for your pets and children.

• Diana Deiley
    Diana Deiley

Love all the tips. I use dryer sheets to repel insects when I'm in the yard. Just put one in your shirt pocket while working or sitting outside. (I hate garlic, so that won't work for me EVER.)

• Lyn Buerger
      Lyn Buerger

I tie one to my dog's collar when he is out in the park and it seems to help keep the flying critters off of him.
  • Linda Davis
    Linda Davis

Retired pharmacist here, it is Thiamine (vitamin B6), 100 mg daily for an adult, produces the odor in skin that biting insects don't like. I do use the dryer sheet in my pocket, and it works too! I tuck one in my seat cushion covers on deck furniture too.
  • Zest it Up
    Zest it Up

Hi there! I made an easy DIY bug repelling candle! Check it out here: http://zestitup.com/easy-homemade-bug-repelling-candle/
    I hope this helps keep the bugs away!
  • Angela Ley
    Angela Ley

Peppermint, Lemon, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Thyme, Geranium, Clove, Sage, Cinnamon, Rosemary are all good mosquito repellents.

• M. M..
    M. M..

That's why so many of the older houses one sees in Europe, like Germany, Italy, Switzerland, etc., have window boxes overflowing with plants like geraniums, etc. In the days before window screens,one had the windows open on nice days, but you didn't want flying insects to come in!
  • Jeannie Herman
    Jeannie Herman

You can plant lemon grass and/or citronella plants. I love the original 'Skin So Soft' lotion from Avon.
  • Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

Vicks vapor rub