Save Your Coffee Grounds! Turn Them in to Gardener's Soap

$10

Instead of throwing away my used coffee grounds, I saved them to make a gardener's soap. This recipe scrubs away dirt while the shea butter softens your skin.
I used to put my leftover grounds on my rose bush, but I don't have a rose bush any more. I have to be careful dumping them outside because I have free range chickens. I don't need a bunch of caffeinated chickens running around.
Start by melting your soap base. I used 8 ounces of melt and pour soap. I microwave it for 30 seconds at 80 percent power and stir. Just be careful that it doesn't start to boil.
You want to let it cool until a scum forms on the top. Meanwhile, mix .5 tablespoon bentonite clay with an equal part distilled water to make a paste.
Once the soap cools, add the clay and water mixture, 1 tablespoon cornmeal, .5 tablespoons dried coffee grounds, .5 tablespoon shea butter, and 1 teaspoon of orange or lemon essential oil.
Pour in to a soap mold and let harden. Enjoy!

Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Everything Pretty

• Rhonda Endriss

I heard coffee grounds are hard on your drains

• Eliza Spear

I have heard the same thing. Flush coffee grounds down the drain to keep it flowing and don’t flush tea leaves because they will clog it. Don’t know if it’s true...just saying I heard it.

• Terrell Sanzone

You put .5 tablespoons on a few items but I see you using a full tablespoon. Do you mean 5 tablespoons? If not, perhaps saying 2 teaspoons etc would be better? I really want to make this soap but I also want to be sure of the measurements. TFS!

• Melissa Hausam

Where do you get the clay??

• Linda Sue Johnston

no coffee grounds if you have a septic tank in the mountains

• Rose Maloney

I save slivers of bar soap, add a little water at a time, microwave for 45 seconds at a time (I'm working with about 2 cups soap slivers) until melty and thick. Then I pour it into a mold and let harden in a cool dry cabinet with a tray of clean cat litter to speed the drying process. I don't see any reason you couldn't recycle the coffee grounds along with the soap slivers for the potting shed soap! Also, if you work a little soap up under your nails before you start digging, it'll be a lot easier to have clean hands when you're done if you are like me and don't like to wear gloves.