Save Your Coffee Grounds! Turn Them in to Gardener's Soap

$10

Instead of throwing away my used coffee grounds, I saved them to make a gardener's soap. This recipe scrubs away dirt while the shea butter softens your skin.
I used to put my leftover grounds on my rose bush, but I don't have a rose bush any more. I have to be careful dumping them outside because I have free range chickens. I don't need a bunch of caffeinated chickens running around.
Start by melting your soap base. I used 8 ounces of melt and pour soap. I microwave it for 30 seconds at 80 percent power and stir. Just be careful that it doesn't start to boil.
You want to let it cool until a scum forms on the top. Meanwhile, mix .5 tablespoon bentonite clay with an equal part distilled water to make a paste.
Once the soap cools, add the clay and water mixture, 1 tablespoon cornmeal, .5 tablespoons dried coffee grounds, .5 tablespoon shea butter, and 1 teaspoon of orange or lemon essential oil.
Pour in to a soap mold and let harden. Enjoy!

31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Everything Pretty

• Rhonda Endriss

I heard coffee grounds are hard on your drains

• Eliza Spear

I have heard the same thing. Flush coffee grounds down the drain to keep it flowing and don’t flush tea leaves because they will clog it. Don’t know if it’s true...just saying I heard it.

• Terrell Sanzone

You put .5 tablespoons on a few items but I see you using a full tablespoon. Do you mean 5 tablespoons? If not, perhaps saying 2 teaspoons etc would be better? I really want to make this soap but I also want to be sure of the measurements. TFS!

• Melissa Hausam

Where do you get the clay??

• Linda Sue Johnston

no coffee grounds if you have a septic tank in the mountains

• Rose Maloney

I save slivers of bar soap, add a little water at a time, microwave for 45 seconds at a time (I'm working with about 2 cups soap slivers) until melty and thick. Then I pour it into a mold and let harden in a cool dry cabinet with a tray of clean cat litter to speed the drying process. I don't see any reason you couldn't recycle the coffee grounds along with the soap slivers for the potting shed soap! Also, if you work a little soap up under your nails before you start digging, it'll be a lot easier to have clean hands when you're done if you are like me and don't like to wear gloves.