Asked on Jun 22, 2015

What pattern/color goes with this sofa?

One8414992JohnchipSuellen Hintz
+19

We just got this sofa and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work in my living room..what color/pattern would work for pillows and accent chairs?
  • Wglindner
    Wglindner

I would used some yellow pillows, really pretty crayon green , then pillows with the se color. You can used striped of flowers together as long as your in the same color family. One thing I would do is put longer drapes up or a roll shade . When o look at the picture my eye go straight to that window.

• Doyle Tami Harmon
    Doyle Tami Harmon

Place the curtain rod as close to the ceiling as you can and extend the drapes to the floor. Hang the curtains so that they only cover about 2-3 inches of the sides of the window. This will make the window appear larger. I would add blue to the room by replacing the curtains with a print. You could use geometric shapes or whatever appeals to you, but nothing too busy or heavy. White crown moulding and strategically placed art or wall accessories would balance things out nicely. The colors you chose so far are very nice! Pull the room together with items that you love! Don't try to fit into the "style" box. The room should be a reflection of who you are. Good luck!

• Marian
    Marian

I agree use a long and wider then window curtain to make window appear larger. You can use about any color pillows and accessories you like. Use different size prints and in same colors you like. Find a piece of art you like and pull colors from it.

• Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper

the pattern is so subtle that I don't think it has to restrict you.Do you want a monochromatic look? I'd stick to eggshell off-white.If you want more color,I personally like red, or dark red with brown.I'm going to try to attach a cheap wall hanging I got at Old Time Pottery yrs ago.

• Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper

see comments above and photo below- this computer stuff eludes me

, an attractive and cheap red brown beige wall hanging from Old TimePottery a favorite haunt
  • Marge
    Marge

I would use a blue pillow combination. As in patterns and solids.

• Ingrid
    Ingrid

Soft yellow goes well with grey.

• Maggie C
    Maggie C

pattern and color could be anything. What's your fave? Actually anything goes well with grey. I'm with Marian on extending your window treatment. Make it look like the window takes up the entire wall, but your curtains are closed on it.

• Fab and Pretty
    Fab and Pretty

The pin dot in the couch fabric isn't really dominant so I would consider the couch a solid. You can have a lot of fun, consider bold prints with some grey and use that opportunity to introduce another non neutral colour. Also don't be afraid to use different fabrics that work together. You can then carry that new non neutral colour into other areas...even soft window treatment. As for the window I would extend the rod 8" to a foot on each side and add full length non-sheer panels 2.5 to 3 times the rod width. When you have the panels open they will cover up the 'wall' portion behind the panels, but you can expose most of the window. When they're closed there will still be enough 'fullness' that your trick won't even be noticed.

• Judy Capone Mantell
    Judy Capone Mantell

Do you want to keep the paneling?The white breaks up the wall at an awkward height. Perhaps painting it to match the walls? I would repaint the walls behind the couch before deciding on other colors. It is hard to tell from the photo if the color of the couch is more towards the brownish or gray shades. However, either goes well with colors from the green/aqua/turquoise end of the spectrum. Also if you like the warmer colors, try the deep rose/red shades. Yellow/gold shades also work with brown or gray. I would change the walls to a color, then choose pillows etc to match. The valence over the small window does not work well with it. What about painting the window frame a color to define it and then choosing a smaller curtain/shade treatment that better fits the window? Check these sites for ideas: https://www.google.com/search?q=fabric+shades+for+small+windows&biw=1677&bih=824&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=no6KVdK8DMnvoAS_4KvoAw&ved=0CF4QsAQ&dpr=1 and https://www.pinterest.com/explore/small-window-treatments/ You can also get a slipcover for the couch if you want a pattern such as a floral or other print. http://www.slipcovershop.com/product_list/sofa_slipcover.asp

• Marian
    Marian

Personally I do not like slipcovers, they look like you are trying to hide the couch because of wear and tear. Also most look sloppy. This couch looks new.

• Marian
    Marian

If light is not an issue a piece of art could be placed over the window to hide it and bring in color and your personal taste. Also do you have any other uphoststed furniture in the room that has to be considered?

• Sheila D
    Sheila D

Is the couch taupe, brown or gray? Hard to tell on pic. If you want to brighten up the room-yellows, lime or orange might work.

• Sharon La Tour
    Sharon La Tour

Yellow or and blue, in certain shades, would also go with brown or grey, as would cranberry or peach with grey. If you have time, we would love to see what you decide!

• Phyllis Elliott
    Phyllis Elliott

If it's grey it is a neutral but so is brown . Both go well with yellow , aqua/teals and many more . Google or go to Pinterest and find Design Seeds . It is a great way to pick some colors to go together . It is one of my favorite places to look . Also your small print can go with some others like a larger floral , plaids , etc as long as each piece has a bit of couch color in it whether it is a small or large section of it ...remember to use the rule of 3 but I have honestly mixed up to 7 different patterns . But all had at least one color in common . Pillows are easy to take back , just go in to a Pier One and bring home what strikes your fancy and throw them around on the couch , chairs etc. Don't like ? just return. Or bring couch arm cover if you have any , heck I have had customers bring in a whole cushion !! LOL ....Birds and nests, owls , bird eggs etc are popular as well as pillows or art work using the written word especially French poetry . Just enjoy yourself ! Oh and if you are crafty The Graphics Fairy has some free printables to download and then you can make your own art work ! This is just a sample ...

• Phyllis Elliott
    Phyllis Elliott

Also you can put a painted wash on that paneling by watering down the color you used above it ....or go bold and paint it all aqua and find the other stuff from there !

• Barbara kessler
    Barbara kessler

The sofa appears to be an olive green. Some colorful pillows-patterned and plain would liven up the couch. If you can paint the room, I suggest removing the valance and extend the yellow paint to the ceiling. Since the sofa is dark, So many colors would be attractive for accent chairs. How do you think the light color in the sofa would work? The color scheme bible has some good color schemes, too. Good luck!

• Suellen Hintz
    Suellen Hintz

This is a great neutral sofa and I feel you can pick your favorite two colors to work with. Just be sure to add texture and pattern; the tiny dot on the sofa reads as a solid. I personally would add brighter colors rather than dark colors...think turquoise and dull yellow, turquoise and orange, robins egg blue and lime green, pink and dull gold, etc. Find an area rug you love and pick a color scheme from it. I think you'll end up with a great room. Have fun!

• Johnchip
      Johnchip

Kinda agree. But I would add both dark and light colors to cretae contrast over the medium tone the sofa fabric creates.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

A few dark chocolate browns and some others with light blues and leafy, airy or bird patterns. You need them to counter balance eachother in lights and darks as the sofa fabric becomes a rather flat midtone background pallette. I would avoid regular' patterns' as the sofa already is a pattern.

• One8414992
    One8414992

Ivory, beige, as in vintage linens with prints of writing on them.......Vintage Barkcloth prints with touches of black......Stripes as in linen vintage dishtowels.....