Mary Insana
Mary Insana
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Asked on Feb 5, 2013

I just bought this barrel end table from Craigs list

SuzanneMary InsanaCarol
+9

Another $10 Craigs List find. The bottom of the table has markings that say Weiman Heirloom Quality furniture. It doesn't look heirloom or vintage to me. I want to paint it with chalk paint and leave the top natural like I just did with a coffee table. Is this something that is worth anything? I don't want to alter something that I woulc get some cash to buy more fun stuff.
round end table
round end table
with doors open
with doors open
top of tble
top of tble
bottom of table
bottom of table
bright flash on camera This is with doors closed
another picture
another picture
  • Designs by BSB

Based on the finish of (streaks) in the door and top -- ld say its a reproduction. Its too consistent, and in the doors, they actually mirror each other - so the while the finish looks like wood, its much more likely to be a faux wood. Usually when they say its an heirloom.. it means its not, they didnt brag like that back when :) No matter -- great find for $10 !! It will look awesome with a chalk paint - even more valuable :)

• Brenda Dodson

This is beautiful! What a great find!

• Mary Insana

Becky Sue, thanks. Now i just have to figure out what color of of chalk paint to mix up. I may make it white with a stained top to match the coffee table I just painted and use them both on my sun porch.

• KMS Woodworks

That top looks like mahogany veneer...keep that and chalk pain the bottom...sounds like a good plan

• Kathy R

Beautiful find! Love your transformation idea

• Stacey B

Paint would be perfect in my opinion-anything with that speckled "pecan" finish needs chalk paint :-)

• Cyndie S

Agree with BSB--"Heirloom quality" is a marketing tool and, of course, does not mean its an heirloom. Looks 70's repro to me, especially with that flower carving detail. Definitely a paint piece!

• Mary Insana

@Cyndie Shevlin, here's the way the end table looked after I painted it

q i just bought this barrel end table from craigs list, chalk paint, painted furniture
  • Carol

Here is info on Weiman furniture. It appears that their furniture is well-made and prices are higher than similar furniture. http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/5r63u-inherited-pieces-heirloom-quality-weiman-tables.html

• Mary Insana

Thanks for the info Carol, I paint this and sold it well over a year ago.

• Suzanne

DON'T paint it. It is an "original", or it would not have the stamp. Weiman Heirloom furniture is "high end" and was made between 1960 and 1964. I have a walnut Weiman occasional table in the Empire style and the top if inlaid with a gorgeous golden - lighter wood. I'm not sure what style your table is but, to paint it would ruin its value. The value depends on the condition and other factors. If yours is walnut, it would be rarer and more valuable since walnut is scarce nowadays and very expensive when it is available.