How to clean residue from old glass kerosene lamp?

+20
The glass bottom contained water with blue food coloring for decoration purpose. I have tried soaking in Dawn, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol. Any ideas on how to remove the mess? Thanks!
  • Heather Berger Heather Berger on Aug 09, 2015
    Have you tried denatured alcohol? You can get it at home Depot or lowes. It's strong so wear gloves.
    • Denise Denise on Aug 09, 2015
      Thank you Heather. Is it pure alcohol? I have never used it before, but will try it. What is it normally used for? Just curious and thanks for the warning to use gloves.
  • Evelyn Adams Evelyn Adams on Aug 09, 2015
    Clorox is my go to product for stubborn stains.
  • Denise Denise on Aug 09, 2015
    Well what a great idea. I'm trying the Clorox right after I have my morning coffee. Thanks!
  • Kim Eckard Kim Eckard on Aug 10, 2015
    Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They are the best for everything and anything
  • Jan Jan on Aug 10, 2015
    try denture cleaning tablets.
  • Dee Dee on Aug 10, 2015
    try amonia
  • Lori Swearingen-Goers Lori Swearingen-Goers on Aug 10, 2015
    I would try CLR
  • Heather Berger Heather Berger on Aug 10, 2015
    I use it to clean paint residue off my refinishing projects. It is used normally for cleaning glass and works amazingly well.
    Here is what I use
  • Inetia Inetia on Aug 10, 2015
    99 percent alcohol is a splendid all purpose cleaner. It's also very flammable and will burn like lamp or torch oil. It's also not so easy to find.
  • Denise Denise on Aug 11, 2015
    What is CLR?
    • Sue Vernon Sue Vernon on Aug 11, 2015
      @Denise Calcium, Lime & Rust cleaner. Purchase in the cleaning products isle in the grocery store.
  • Evelyn Adams Evelyn Adams on Aug 11, 2015
    Denise, if any suggestion has worked to clean your lamp, I would like to know. :-)
  • Joy7897617 Joy7897617 on Feb 16, 2017
    Use rubbing alcohol Nothing. Else takes it right off , mine was so yellow been that way for years , I was amazed
  • Mary Siler Mary Siler on Jun 06, 2017
    I just used rubbin alcohol. It is now sparkling clean!
  • Alyse Wynn Alyse Wynn on Jan 21, 2019

Thank you, thank you the rubbing alcohol worked!!!! Sparkling!!!!!! Amazing!!

• Peggy Wilson Peggy Wilson on Apr 16, 2019

Drop a cascade pod in with hot water, and it's like a miracle cleaning!

• Laura Ann Chamberlain Laura Ann Chamberlain on Mar 28, 2020

I just tried the isopropyl alcohol and let it soak for not even 5 minutes and all the set in stained brown kerosene came right off!

• Mary Jane Scott Mary Jane Scott on Jun 25, 2020

I used rubbing alcohol, just poured it in and waited 5 minutes. Poured it out, all staining gone and a crystal clear oil reservoir. Couldn't believe it was that easy. My husband had used gasoline and let it soak for 20 minutes... nothing. So THANK YOU for the rubbing alcohol tip.