Experts said that I should use pressure-treated lumber for decks.

+1
But many designs show the use of redwood. Surely, that must be acceptable. I don't like the look of the dark pressure-treated lumber. What do you say?

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 29, 2017
    We have two pressure treated decks, a boat dock and shed. If we had a do-over we would go with a trusted colored composite deck material as the sun and watefront exposure we have caused a need for high maintenance and nearly yearly reapplication of a sealing product to look its best. The sealing products rated 5-7 years sadly do not last that in our situation.

• Linda Linda on Dec 29, 2017
    if you use redwood - find the hardness kind. you will still need to recoat annually

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Dec 29, 2017
    Is the wood actually red or treated that way since so many people are put off by the original look of pressure treated wood. I mean mulch comes in a bunch of colors now so could they just be treating it with a product that looks red? Is it cedar? I guess first find out why it's red. Or is this from redwood trees? But why not go with what experts recommend? You can stain it and maintain it the color you want. But bigger question is how much time do you have to maintain it and of course budget? I would stick with paver's any day of the week. I would rather kill a weed or two than restain and seal a deck too costly for me in the future.

• Lisa Baillet Lisa Baillet on Dec 29, 2017
    Before you buy any material you might want to check your city's building codes first. We replaced our deck last year and had to pay extra to haul old pressure treated lumber away b/c it is now against current code.