Replace lock on old footlocker/trunk

by Gale
I have an old trunk with a locking mechanism that is kaput. I found and ordered a very similar new one from Lee Valley. However, the old one appears to be fastened on with some kind of rivet. How do I remove it, and then install the new one? Ca
  8 answers
  • Shira Shira on Dec 15, 2014
    Hi Gale, would you be able to post a photo of the trunk and the mechanism you are asking about? This will help us best advise you.
  • Adrianne C Adrianne C on Dec 15, 2014
    With a rivet gun.
  • Gale Gale on Dec 15, 2014
    Hi Shira-- I wish I knew how to do this. I'm 72, not very up on photo-phones, etc., so I'm kind of up a creek without a paddle, I guess. . . .I have a very simple, flip phone. It can take photos, but I don't know how to get them onto a computer. . .. sorry.
  • Gale Gale on Dec 15, 2014
    @Adrianne C. Not very helpfull! Of course a rivet gun--but, for someone asking how to do it, a little more info on HOW to do it would help!
    • Adrianne C Adrianne C on Dec 16, 2014
      @Gale Use a nail puller and or pliers to pull them out. Load a rivet into the gun and squeeze the handle, then break off the excess.
  • Ellen Doss Ellen Doss on Dec 15, 2014
    The only way I can think to get the old rivets out is to drill them out. Just drill enough to remove the flat top and then pull the out with pliers. If anyone else knows a different way then I would like to know how too.
  • Alton Alton on Dec 15, 2014
    We always use a drill on the back side to just take off the flange only and then bump it out . Be careful please and Merry Christmas !
  • Gale Gale on Dec 16, 2014
    Thank you Ellen D., and Alton--very helpful. I will be careful, and thanks again for the help!
  • Gale Gale on Dec 16, 2014
    Thank you, Adrianne--I appreciate the info. Thanks for responding--this is something I've never done before. . . working with rivets.