How to get mold out of the wash machine?

+8
We have a front loading washer and it has quite a bit of mold inside the rubber ring. It smells and looks disgusting! We have tried several cleaners and bleach. Nothing works!! Please help!

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 11, 2017
    Clean it first with bleach water to get as much of the stain off as you can, make sure you clean all the little nooks and crannies like if there are folds of rubber, use something to get in there if it tight. Rinse it, after you have it cleaned up as much as possible, with vinegar to kill the spores that bleach doesn't do. Let it dry on it to be the most effective as it is an excellent antibacterial and antifungal agent. Leave the door to the washer open until the rubber ring is dry after using the washer. If it is soapy, rinse it with vinegar water to cut the soap residue once in a while and maybe that will help prevent the problem with it getting moldy or mildew. I hope this helps. This works for the fridge rubber gasket too.

• Joa22028464 Joa22028464 on Dec 11, 2017
    My front loader is over 7 years old and I've never had this problem because ---- after the last load I dry off the inside of the door window then I put the drying cloth over the rim of the tub. This way the door stays open a few inches (I never close the door unless using the washer) so the tub, door, rubber gaskets, etc. all air-dry. Works for me.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 11, 2017
    As Joan says... after use leave the door open so the washer dries out completely.... and they make a commercial cleaner for front loading washers called AFRESH it will help keep the mold away... and I often use white vinegar in the fabric softener cup.. it won't hurt the laundry and will help remove soap residue especially in things like towels

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 11, 2017
    https://www.hometalk.com/diy/clean/appliances/how-to-clean-a-front-loader-washer-1254986

• Pat Pat on Dec 11, 2017
    I have a front loader washer and it has a cleaning cycle on it. Instructions say to use bleach or Afresh and run it through the cycle. If you do not have this cycle, I would either do the 1/3 cup bleach or the Afresh and run it through a normal cycle with no clothes, naturally.

• Kat Kat on Dec 11, 2017
    have you tried the Mr Clean sponges? worked on my freezer doors for mold

• Nicole Kveene Engman Nicole Kveene Engman on Dec 11, 2017
    Yes, tried that

• TAMMY SPALSBURY TAMMY SPALSBURY on Dec 11, 2017
    Washing machine drum cleaner, or bleach.