How do you clean a toilet that has a year worth of rust stains?

+1
  • Franklinrawley Franklinrawley on Aug 14, 2018

this may help. I use the regular bowl cleaner to start with, then leaving that in the bowl, add industrial strength cleaner - about a large splash, then add ammonia - another splash, then scrub it with the toilet bowl brush for a few minutes, then let all that rest for several hours. I close the lid for any escaping fumes, but this does a wonder on any rust and residue. Best of luck...

• Laura washington Laura washington on Aug 14, 2018

In some instances the tank itself needs cleaning as well; maybe using something like baking soda.

• Ted Rowland Ted Rowland on Aug 15, 2018

If it is only rust or hard water, bleach will do. Pour it in and let it sit 5 min. Use a toilet brush then and flush. It really is that simple. If that doesn't do it, then there is another product. Go to the hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., and buy a product called C.L.R., and follow the directions. C.L.R. stands for calcium, lime, rust.

• V Smith V Smith on Aug 15, 2018

You can empty the bowl by dumping a full bucket of clean water into the bowl. From there I would suggest you use a pumic stone to scrub/rub away the hard water stains. Rust doesn't usually respond to bleach so if you have rust stains on the porcelain try a specific rust remover.