How to clean heavy embossed sheet vinyl flooring from the 1960's?

+1
  1. We are in a rental home and the vinyl flooring is ugly looking no matter how many times I clean it. Is there a way to restore it to its like new look with out a big expence?

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jul 12, 2018
    the surface has probably been irreparably damaged thru the years ... not your fault, but old is old; there are products that SAY they 'restore' the finish... but I'd have my doubts; Could you invest in a polyvinyl [washable] indoor-outdoor rug ? they come in gorgeous colors/patterns and are not super expensive -- they're designed for decks, but I have one in my living room!!

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 12, 2018
    Agree with Landsharkinnc that the flooring is probably long past its 'shelf best before date' to be renewed any other way than being taken up and replaced.
    It would be in the best interests of maintaining the quality of the home to have it replaced. Have you contacted your landlord about this?

• William William on Jul 12, 2018
    Try using one cup of lemon scented ammonia (by eye) to one gallon hot water. Removes ground in dirt and old wax build up.But as everyone says i may be beyond i's time.

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 12, 2018
    Sudsing lemon ammonia in hot water does a good job of stripping old wax and gunk from those embossed floors, and if you have a carpet cleaner it makes quick work of it. I always used to get the embossed floor some idiot use Mop & Wax on which would have a huge buildup of dirt, hair, grease and God knows what else.... and thats how I cleaned it. Then I would use a coat of non-wax Finish to make it shine.