How do I clean wooden kitchen cabinets?

+2

My kitchen cabinet are dark wood. How is best way to clean them? I may want to paint them white. Thanks!

• Hi, Arlene!

Clean the cabinets using TSP (tri-sodium phosphate or the substitute), let them dry thoroughly, then use a good primer before painting. I hope this helps!

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jul 21, 2019

Hi Arlene,

I always used Murphy's Oil Soap for wood kitchen cabinets. Then I would oil the wood with Liquid Gold to keep them from drying. Wishing you the best.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Jul 21, 2019

To clean them, use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser followed by Windex.

As for painting them white, I would take one of the cabinet doors to the paint department of your home improvement store and ask for their advice on paints, stains, application tools and trim. They can give you advice on the latest products and application tools to give your the best completed project.

• By Brittany Goldwyn By Brittany Goldwyn on Jul 22, 2019

Any regular cleaner should work fine. Before painting, make sure to thoroughly clean using a degreaser!

• Grace Gleason Grace Gleason on Jul 27, 2019

As Cher said, use TSP. It WILL clean them. If you put Scott's Liquid Gold on them, you can forget about painting them. Paint will never stick to that stuff.