Asked on Aug 30, 2016

Removing dark rings from wooden tables

+5
I have a dark ring, the size that a glass would leave, on my light oak antique table. I do not know what it was. I used to have a cleaning lady who was sloppy with cleaning products (she ruined another table). I don't know what substance came from the round object that sat on that table but how can I fade it or remove it from my table?
q need to remove dark ring on antique oak table, cleaning tips, furniture cleaning
  • Greg Harris Greg Harris on Aug 31, 2016
    Have someone lightly sand the suface with a fine sander then restain it

• Bob Gaddis Bob Gaddis on Aug 31, 2016
    Rub the stain with a paste of oxalic acid and water. Follow with baking soda to neutralize the oxalic.

• Rhonda Fox Jones Rhonda Fox Jones on Sep 06, 2016
      Your suggestion sounds like the best other than sanding and clear finish again. I would like to milk paint it but not yet. I have to use a runner or place mat to cover the stain, otherwise, I prefer a clean table w/no frufru other than centerpiece. So thx. Can I make oxalic or just ask for it or is there a name brand that has oxalic in it?

• Polly Zieper Polly Zieper on Aug 31, 2016
    I read somewhere on HT to polish it with olive oil. look it up here and you might get the details. good luck.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 31, 2016
    Try rubbing oil,mayo,peanut butter or plain toothpaste.on the spot and leave on overnight. Wipe off with a soft cloth.

• Shelia Shelia on Aug 31, 2016
    There's a post on here that said put a towel over it, then a hot iron for a minute or two, and it will bring it out. May have to do it more than once.

• Lyn10306257 Lyn10306257 on Aug 31, 2016
    Hi, I removed water marks from my cherry table with a soft cloth and a little mayonnaise.

• Deb K Deb K on Oct 14, 2022

Hi Rhonda, hope this helps you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0I_24LPjLc