Cleaning antique hardware from doors

+7
I have some beautiful century old doors with lovely door knobs, etc and would like to clean them up and make the doors into a headboard for my bead. How can I clean them/

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 31, 2018
    what are they made of?

• Fix It Jen Fix It Jen on Jan 31, 2018
    Well, you don't want to remove ALL the age of them, I'd say start with a scrub with gentle soap and get any paint off, then use a metal polish to shine up what you want to. Good luck, and be patient!

• Karen Karen on Feb 02, 2018
      Thank you! I was wondering how to keep the "old" look but clean

• V Smith V Smith on Jan 31, 2018
    Are you going to test for lead paint? If it is there do you want to remove it?

• Karen Karen on Feb 02, 2018
      There is no paint on the hardware. Now the actual wooden door.....I dont know. I was thinking about just washing the wood and leave it at that or sand it down to the oak

• Shoshana Shoshana on Feb 01, 2018
    Remove the doorknobs and soak them in some vinegar overnight to clean them up

• Karen Karen on Feb 02, 2018
    Metal ( I dont know what kind) approx 100 years old

• Jacqueline Hyde Jacqueline Hyde on Feb 03, 2018
    If it's rust you want off metal, I agree with Shoshana. Vinegar soak overnight. If you want some still on the metal and it takes it off let it sit and air dry. It'll oxidize a bit and cause some new patina/rust. When you're happy with how they look, be sure to dry completely and either seal them with clear spray paint (finish of your choice) or lightly oil them with some WD-40 to prevent more unwanted rusting. I do this with old tools/hardware quite often. I also save the rusty vinegar and use it as a stain for wood projects!

• Karen Karen on Feb 04, 2018
    Awesome
    thanks