Does anyone know a good jewellery cleaner.or hack?

+3
  • Stacey Reynolds Stacey Reynolds on Jan 06, 2018
    baking soda!

• Teresa Zahnow Teresa Zahnow on Jan 06, 2018
    Toothpaste can clean sterling silver jewelry.

• T. Martinelli T. Martinelli on Jan 06, 2018
    Plain toothpaste an soft brush, or baking powder made in a paste with water

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 06, 2018
    I use plain old white toothpaste for the metals, very easy on your jewelry. For stones, I use a toothbrush and dish soap to make sure that you can get in all the nooks and crannies in the setting. After everything is well rinse off, I dip the stones in alcohol to get rid of any water left on the stones so they dry quickly into sparkling stones. I do not do this with turquoise stones or opals as they are very delicate and the alcohol will dry them out. For them I just use a soft toothbrush and tepid water as quickly as possible and dry them right away. If the jewelry is not real dirty a soak in warm soapy water for chains, swish them around and rinse. Let the water run off for a minute, then dry/polish with a soft rag. Sometimes when I wash my hands I will give the stones in my rings a once over with a toothbrush I have by the sink to try to get all the everyday gunk off and get them back to sparkling real quick!

• Ruth Ruth on Jan 06, 2018
    I have heard that toothpaste will leave microscopic scratches. Stick with straight ammonia (I wouldnt use a detergent with it as the mix could cause TOXIC fumes.) Also, you didnt mention if there were precious (or lab made) jewels. Some chemicals will ruin certain stones. Please ask a jewler regarding stones.

• Cathy Dillon Cathy Dillon on Jan 06, 2018
    Not recommended by the jewelry elite, but the sterling cleaning method of baking soda + hot water + aluminum foil might be ok. You have to watch out for loosening stones that have old glue, And I don't think the treatment is going to be good for pearls, either. You wouldn't want them to loose thier sheen. On some jewelry I have found this not very helpful and am back at it with a toothbrush, some q tips , some windex, some paper towels, some rags and some Maas ( metal polish).