How do I clean a heater vent in my bathroom ceiling?

+5
I bought the house from my parents estate after they passed away. I don't know how long it's been since it was cleaned last. I don't have any idea how or what to use to really get into it to give it a great cleaning. Any help would be appreciated.

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Dec 26, 2017
    You could try using a long hose on your vacuum to vacuum all the surface dust off.....you may need to use a brush attachment if the dust is caked on.

• Lisa Lisa on Dec 26, 2017
      I just tried that. Unfortunately it didn't work so well. Thank you

• Ktg311722 Ktg311722 on Dec 26, 2017
    Is it a high ceiling? If not, I would see if you could just unscrew the vent face and take it down to clean with a strong cleaner. This would also let you see the ductwork to determine if the inside needs to be cleaned too, and you could use your vacuum for that.

• Lisa Lisa on Dec 26, 2017
      No the ceiling isn't high. But I wasn't sure if I had to shut the power off in order to unscrew the vent. It's definitely caked on bad. But I will definitely try this. Thank you

• Gra31424478 Gra31424478 on Dec 26, 2017
    Take the cover off the vent in the bathroom and vacuum it the best you can. Then with some cleaning solution clean the blades.When shower is on always keep door open .

• Lisa Lisa on Dec 26, 2017
      I can't keep the shower door open when the shower is on. It will spray all over my floor. But I do leave it open right after. Thank you

• Jim Haywood Jim Haywood on Dec 26, 2017
    You need a small step ladder to be able to reach it. Then remove the light cover to enable you to remove the light bulb, and fan. This gives you access to the housing when you use the vacuum. Depending on how bad it is, you may have to use a wet soapy rag to finish cleaning the housing. The fan can be pulled off the motor shaft to make it easier to clean the fan, The fan motor can be replaced with a new one, if necessary, from an appliance parts store. You will need the model and brand from the old motor. I think that the last one i did cost approximately $20.00. The cleaning needs to be done about 1 to 2 times a year.

• Lisa Lisa on Dec 26, 2017
    Awesome. Thank you so much.