How to remove felt tip pen from rubber dolls

Tracy Hamilton
by Tracy Hamilton
+34
My 6 yr old has coloured her dolls in felt tip pen. How do I remove it?
  • William William on Aug 19, 2016
    Try WD40. Spray a paper towel, cotton ball, soft cloth with WD40. Lightly dab/rub the marker area. Watch out for any painted features, eyes, brows, lips, etc.

• Janell Janell on Aug 20, 2016
    I have heard that you can spray it with hair spray and blot it off. Haven't tried that myself, but it's worth a try.

• Penny Lyons Penny Lyons on Aug 20, 2016
    Nail varnish remover should work.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 20, 2016
    You can try rubbing alcohol with q cotton swab.

• Tan1781564 Tan1781564 on Aug 20, 2016
    Rubbing alcohol is what our local thrift shop uses to clean donated dolls

• Bkn7927269 Bkn7927269 on Aug 20, 2016
    I use a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol

• Huntress Huntress on Aug 20, 2016
    This may sound odd but it works. Go over the marker on the dolls with a dry eraser marker and wipe off.

• Jan Jan on Aug 20, 2016
    Magic Eraser great for all sorts of cleaning

• Sally Sally on Aug 20, 2016
    I use magic eraser with a little dish soap. Works great on permanent marker so I can label containers in the freezer

• Darlenestrenn Darlenestrenn on Aug 20, 2016
    hair spray

• Sandra. Jackson Sandra. Jackson on Aug 20, 2016
    Try using white tooth paste, just put some on a piece of cloth and rub over the ink, repeat if needed.

• Grandmasue10 Grandmasue10 on Aug 20, 2016
    Have your 6 year old help you. It will be a lesson in responsibility. She would probably have fun with the dry marker method!

• MM MM on Aug 22, 2016
      My daughter did it not only on Barbies but a couple of times on the wall. I just took pictures with her standing proudly beside her artwork! I have always let her express herself and she is now in her Second year at university getting her Fine Arts degree! So admonishing a child is not always the answer.

• Leisa Leisa on Aug 20, 2016
    Get a cotton ball or pad and soak it with hair spray, then wipe it off. It make take a couple times to get all. I was taight that trick when I worked in a grocery stoee beforore they had tag guns. Works like a charm. What is it about little girls, mine did the same thing.

• Kathy Bitzan Kathy Bitzan on Aug 20, 2016
      I think they are trying to put make up on their dolls like they see mommy do... just a guess, but it seems they all do it.

• Lorraine M Torres Lorraine M Torres on Aug 20, 2016
    I would leave it. If she doesn't like the dolls like that, she will not do it again. Lesson learned. Lesson on actions and consequences where no one gets hurt. Sounds harsh, but it really is not.

• Kathii Owen Kathii Owen on Aug 20, 2016
    I've used magic cleaning erasers that you buy from cleaning section of supermarket, they're brilliant..

• Crissie Cirelli Crissie Cirelli on Aug 20, 2016
    You can try Goof Off. I used it to get sharpie maker off of a plastic lid. Make sure you follow all instructions and precautions. Use on test spot before using on the intended spot. Be sure to use in ventilated area.

• Ronna Myers Hayward Ronna Myers Hayward on Aug 20, 2016
    I heard alchol will do it

• Murphy Murphy on Aug 20, 2016
    Rubbing alcohol on a cloth removes ink and marker. May have to change cloth a couple times.

• See 1 previous
    • Murphy Murphy on Aug 22, 2016
      It has always worked on doll faces for me, by using frequently changed clean alcohol cloths.

• Sandra Crosbie Sandra Crosbie on Aug 20, 2016
    I don't think anything can remove it. My daughter put " eye-shadow " on my doll. I got her for Christmas when I was 9 years old. I loved that doll she is a Crolly doll, no longer made. She still wears the original coat she had on when I got her. Anyway my daughter beautfiyed her with marker on her eyes. I've tried EVERYTHING. I Have never had any success in removing it. My daughter was four. She's now 33. Nothing worked. So maybe your doll will need to live with her new look forever.

• Ashley Fuhrmeister Ashley Fuhrmeister on May 13, 2018
      Benzol peroxide acne cream like clearasil. Put a layer on then lay doll in sunlight or under a bright lamp (lamp will take longer) and after a couple hours check. It may take 2 treatments but should do the trick. I found this out after about 6 barbies got dark pen eyemake up and some facial tattoos lol i tried everything i had on hand and 3 dolls ended up faceless with all their makeup lips and eyebrows removed. Acne cream worked wonders. I know this post is from a while ago but i know how certain items can be special to us so i felt inclined to share. Good luck

• Lee Lee on Aug 20, 2016
    Rubbing alcohol and a paper towel works every time

• Anna Anna on Aug 21, 2016
      No, sorry. Baby doll faces are porous and just soak that ink stuff right in.

• Sherry Dunegan Sherry Dunegan on Aug 20, 2016
    Hair spray, aqua net works best

• JoLeen Bolton JoLeen Bolton on Aug 20, 2016
    I've heard about using the cheapest hair spray, but if you don't do it right away, you're stuck with it...it's like the ink is absorbed by the rubber.

• Anna Anna on Aug 21, 2016
      Hair spray is good for hard surfaces; painted lady baby dolls are permanently marked.

• F H Young F H Young on Aug 21, 2016
    I found hydrogen peroxide helped to fade the marks but wasn't able to get all of it off. Had more success putting the doll in a front loader washing machine and ran it through a delicate cycle.

• Barbara Barbara on Aug 21, 2016
    You have a budding artist! Sad to see the pretty faces marked with 'washable' markers though! My daughter did the same thing to every one of her 10 Barbie dolls and I could never get it off. Peroxide, alcohol, hair spray and Dawn all failed in my attempts. Celebrate her creativity instead.

• Bwf7968571 Bwf7968571 on Aug 21, 2016
    WD-40? I have heard that works on some surfaces.

• Danielle Odin Danielle Odin on Aug 21, 2016
    I have used nail polish remover. There is a product that we used to remove graffiti on walls. It is available at Home Depot in the commercial catalog.

• Sunny C Sunny C on Aug 22, 2016
    I was going to also suggest nail polish remover. Try scrubbing with paste made out of Baking soda and water. Make the paste thick. I hope that this helps!! Take Care :-)

• Grandmasue10 Grandmasue10 on Aug 23, 2016
    My mom told me a story about my cousin and I. She and my aunt were coffee klatching in the kitchen and my aunt said, "Aren't we lucky to have such nice daughters? They are playing so quietly in the living room" Then they came to check on us, and we were drawing on the walls with crayon. Things never change. This was about 70 years ago!

• Nancy Wilson Nancy Wilson on Sep 07, 2016
    Cleaning permanent ink off fleece blankets.

• Carolyn Jean Ross Carolyn Jean Ross on Oct 31, 2016
    Rubbing alcohol - I've used it to get indelible ink off of plastic food containers with moderate success. Worth a shot - good luck!