How to treat or get rid of mold from walls, especially concrete walls?

by Ali12520598

How do I get rid of mold or mildew on concrete walls? Any homemade remedies, ventilation etc.?

  15 answers
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 30, 2016
    I first first use warm water mixed with soap. Scrub down the areas first.Rinse off and make a mixture of bleach and water, wear a mask and scrub down again and if possible open a window or use a fan or both. Then again wash off and making a solution with baking soda and water again scrubbing the walls. Rinse off and thoroughly dry.I would keep a fan on until all the mold is gone and ventilate the area as much as you can.
  • Jean_Reardon Jean_Reardon on Sep 30, 2016
    buy some concrobium from your home depot or 30 second cleaner from lowes. I like concrobium the best. google it . it's safe for plants, animals and humans. no odor.
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Sep 30, 2016
    Genuine clorox. If it is a chronic issue, you need to find the source of your humidity issue if you ever want to solve it or it is a constant maintenance issue.
  • William William on Sep 30, 2016
    Concrobium is nothing more than a premix of TSP (trisodium phosphate), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), and water. Three salts kill the mold and leave a film of salts as it dries. I checked the MSDS.
  • Clearissa Coward Clearissa Coward on Sep 30, 2016
    If it is really bad you may need to call a professional. However, in the shower I use Tilex and it works really well.
  • CrowEyes CrowEyes on Oct 01, 2016
    NO Clorox. It deteriorates the cement. Is the cement painted or bare? If you wish to clean, spray hydrogen peroxide on area, give it a few minutes, wipe...repeat as necessary. If the surface is painted consider Zinsser's Mold Killing Primer. It will seal in the mold and kill it, as well as making it (mighty) difficult to regrow--but the surface must be previously painted to work.
  • Dan12000090 Dan12000090 on Oct 01, 2016
    Bleach products have too much water in them, so they do not kill the mold and can spread it if blasted on. I use bleach, if needed, after killing the mold with hydrogen peroxide or baking soda or white vinegar to get rid of the mold color. Then primer and paint. Add vents and/or a fan to improve ventilation. Also, I manage a hotel. And, we had a guest who is one of the rare one's who can die from black mold and had to have her home professionally treated.
  • Dot Dot on Oct 01, 2016
    Clorox kills mold
  • George Knipp George Knipp on Oct 01, 2016
    Chlorine kills mold pretty well. Moisture is a big part of the problem. Use chlorine in a spray bottle on the mold. It may take several applications, but it needs to dry between applications. Set up a fan to areate the area to allow the walls and floor to dry. If it is very moist in the area, you may need to invest in a de-humidifier to help remove moisture from the ai .
  • Viola Viola on Oct 01, 2016
    I believe Home Depot or Lowes has a product that removes the mold. I know it is safe and effective because the Disaster Team from our church uses it on the houses in Louisiana to remove the mold and mildew safely and effectively.
  • Cindie Cindie on Oct 01, 2016
    Bleach spreads the spores. DO NOT USE BLEACH. Wear a mask and use anti-bacterial soap and water with a scrubbing brush. Rinse with plain water.
  • Kathy Bitzan Kathy Bitzan on Oct 02, 2016
    I've used bleach every year on a portion of my house outside under my bedroom window faces north and always get a little green. I'm going to try the antibacterial soap to see if it will solve the problem...I never even thought of that. Thanks Cindie, lets hope it works out here.
  • Arts Be Crafty Arts Be Crafty on Oct 03, 2016
    Lowe's sells mold remover you can spray on. If this is a basement you might want to consider a waterproofing system and dehumidifier to prevent it from coming back.
  • Carole Carole on Oct 04, 2016
    Clorox bleach works just fine. Why spend a lot of money on "special" cleaners when the ONLY true way to get rid of mold is to correct the situation creating it. The mold will NEVER go away until the source of the problem is resolved.
  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Feb 09, 2017

    If it's Black Mold, get professional help. If it's surface mold you can use Dawn dish soap & hydrogen peroxide mix with hot water (50/50). Or just ask the professionals to be safe. Best of luck.