Urine staining toilets

+6
As a courtesy to our sleeping family members we don't flush our toilets at night. I've noticed that after we flush that it appears that the urine is staining the toilets. We have city water trucked in so I'm sure that has some bearing on the quality of the water. I have tried putting the drop in toilet cleaners to help reduce the staining, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I really don't like the idea of every day putting cleanser and swirling a brush in the toilet to keep clean.

• Don31836907 Don31836907 on Dec 08, 2017
    Bleach will clean your toilets and also make them smell good. If buying a cleaner make sure it has bleach in it.

• Lisa Lisa on Dec 08, 2017
    Even with cleaners in the tank this will occur if you don't flush. My hubbie gets up very early for work and does the same thing. I finally told him I prefer that he flush as less cleaning for me. We simply put soundproofing insulation in the walls and above kitchen to absorb sound (like what you would use for a music room for sound). It's much quieter.

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 08, 2017
    I second the chlorine bleach treatment.

• Rembatb Rembatb on Dec 08, 2017
    You could have hard water which makes staining much more likely to occur. You can try this https://www.mom4real.com/remove-hard-water-stains-toilet/

I rely on bleach but now the city water is harsher and the struggle to keep stains out can be difficult at times.

• Gwyn Higbee Gwyn Higbee on Dec 08, 2017
    Thank you all so much. I have learned to love baking soda and vinegar for so much cleaning now. So readily available, non toxic and less expensive than commercial cleaners

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 08, 2017
    I use Comet and give them a light scrub twice a week with a toilet brush.

I think they'd be fine, but you'd be equally fine with treating your facilities with about a cup and a half of laundry bleach once a week. Let it set for an hour or so, then scrub as usual.