How to get rid of the peppermint oil odor?
I spilled a 4 ounce bottle of essential peppermint oil. It went all over the counter, down the dishwasher and on my hardwood floor. I have cleaned it all up, but the whole house smells of peppermint, not that it's a bad thing, we are all breathing much better, sinuses all cleared up, but it is a little overwhelming. Does anyone have any ideas how to dissipate some of the strong smell?
How to clean hardwood floors in the kitchen?
What is the best way to clean hardwood floors in the kitchen?
How to clean paint brushes with paint thinner?
How to clean paint brushes with paint thinner?
How to clean a mirror with vinegar?
Vinegar seems to be the answer to everything. So how do I use it to clean my mirror?
How to clean smoke smell out of pillows?
How do I wash pillows to remove the smell of smoke?
How to clean a shower curtain?
How to get rid of neighbors cooking odors
I have a neighbor who cooks at least once a week and the smell comes into my house. The smell to me is very unpleasant. Any ideas how to get rid of the smell?
I have the same issue. My niece spilled a full bottle of peppermint oil in my car, which was parked in the garage. That was six weeks ago. The whole house reeks! I even developed sores in my mouth and "burning mouth syndrome" that my doctor says are from inhaling the peppermint fumes.
That obnoxious smell permeated EVERYTHING! i have spent thousands of dollars trying to remedy this. Had Service Master come in with an ozone machine, which didn't work. Then we tried a hydroxyl machine--also from Service Master. Had a company called BioSweep come in and do their thing. Placed bowls of vinegar, coffee grounds and baking soda throughout the house. Washing ALL clothes multiple times in everything from vinegar to Oxyclean to an additive called Odoreze that is supposed to get rid of any smell. Had my good dresses dry cleaned three times. Purchased all new bedding and a new mattress. Now the new mattress AND the new pillows reek of peppermint.
For the past six weeks, I have opened all the windows in my house every single day for several hours per day. That does get good cross ventilation. I even placed an industrial exhaust fan in one of the windows to pull the air through the house. I also had the ducts professionally cleaned.
I also purchased a few new clothing items and washed them. After doing so, now the new clothes have a STRONG peppermint odor. Figuring the smell was embedded in the washer and dryer, I purchased new machines. After a couple of days, now any clothes washed in THOSE machines comes out smelling of peppermint--even new cloths.
That smell will NOT go away. It will NOT dissipate. Not with time. Not with airing out. Not with thousands of dollars in professional remediation attempts. Now I am looking at putting the house on the market just to get out of this, as it is impacting my health. The only thing I haven't tried is repainting the entire house. My guess is that the horrendous smell got into the walls.
That crap should not be on the market! At least not in such concentrated form.
Hey did this smell go? If so how long did it take?!
Did you ever get over this!?
Please!! Did this ever go!? I feel like we’re living the same nightmare.. we’ve been out of our house for 5 weeks, with a 2 year old and new born as scared for their health
i got rid of my peppermint spill. its called moving
Has anyone managed to solve this problem please?? I’m desperate to find something that works? I have two young children and I’m scared for their health if we return home to our house. Spilled 50mls of pure peppermint oil, on two areas of floor boards in our house which can’t be replaced without removing the whole floor/bathroom/airing cupboard ect.... does the smell and the fumes dissipate with time???
Sorry, all, for the delayed response. I have had three deaths in my family since posting, so it's been a challenging few years--ON TOP OF this damn peppermint smell. No, it never went away. If anything, it's even STRONGER. (I have no idea how that can be.)
It's worse at night. I suspect my mattress absorbed all of the smell. (Yes, I did buy a new mattress and,shortly after purchase and setting it up in my home, the new mattress reeks, and I mean REEKS of that peppermint/mentol smell.)
I am unable to sleep well (peppermint is a stimulant) and I wake up multiple times throughout the night with my mouth and throat burning from the smell.
This crap should be removed from the market!
My sympathies to the rest of you who are also dealing with this nightmare.
Leaving this here in case anyone in a similar situation reaches this page.
I spilled a bottle of peppermint essential oil in my bathroom today. I think I was pretty successful getting rid of the fumes. I treated it almost immediately, but took me hours.
The first thing I did was ventilate by opening the windows and doors. I let the bathroom fan run and started by using another fragrance free oil to dissolve the essential oil (like dissolves like).
Next, I tried to cleansed the surface using soap and water but that was not strong enough. Skip to using detergent (either dish or laundry) mixed with water. I used The Laundress fragrance free detergent and stain solution and mixed it with water. I also added The Laundress bleach alternative to the detergent-water mix, as it was suggested on the label.
I wiped down all affected surfaces with a cloth soaked in the solution multiple times in a circular motion. I noticed the smell started to dissipate with each use. With stubborn spots I let the soapy solution soak for a while longer before wiping it off.
My wooden window sill was the hardest part to clean as the smell persisted there the most. I spread baking soda on the surface and left it for the day. Once I cleaned it off the fragrance from the essential oil was not as prominent.
Lastly, I continued to ventilate the area by bringing a standing fan into the room.
Though the smell is not completely gone, it has reduced significantly and much more bearable to my sensitive nose.
Make sure to throw out any trash used in the clean up process to make sure the smell doesn’t linger there.
This is a really annoying mistake to make, and my nose was fed up after all that. I feel for anyone in this position and hope you guys find some helpful info through my experience. ♥️
There are a few steps you can take to get rid of a peppermint oil odor:
I hope these tips help! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Open the windows wide and put a fan in the window to blow in fresh air. Open two windows, one at each end of the room, to create an air current. Place a bowl of baking soda or coffee grounds in the room affected by the scent; these household products will absorb the odor.
Saturate a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol if you accidentally spill essential oil on your skin or on the floor, then rub the spot with it. The rubbing alcohol removes the oils and then evaporates in the air quickly. Let the area air dry.
Use an oxidizer. Oxidizers contain an ingredient that reacts with the scent molecules in the air and weigh them down. The molecules then fall to the ground. Examples of oxidizers are Expel Odor Neutralizer, NosGuard SG, MMS, ClenAir and OdorXit. These products use chlorine dioxide gas as an oxidizer.
Use deionization. Products that use deionization bond with the essential oil scent molecule and change its structure, effectively neutralizing it. X-O and Air Technologies use this technology. The results are instantaneous and permanent.
Yep. Tried the X-O products. Zero change.
How many mls was what you guys spilled? I dropped a young living 15ml bottle and broke into my air vent. The smell is still here but not as strong as it first happened. I’m just afraid of sleeping here at night. 😭😭😭