Asked on Jun 11, 2014

Can anyone help me identify this chair?

by Merry_sherri
This is a rocking chair I've had for 20 years. Does anyone know anything about this style of rocking chair?
  18 answers
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 12, 2014
    LOVE THIS CHAIR! I have one just like it except it is not tuffed. It is called a gooseneck rocker style. I have only seen one in my lifetime that had the goose heads coming out of the back at the top. I ADORE MINE. The back and the seat are separate on mine and does not swoop. It has the best lumbar support of any chair I have ever sat in. In fact, I had mine recovered last year! If yours is comfortable, it is worth can have it made plain instead of tuffed by having them add some foam. You will LOVE it!
    • See 1 previous
    • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 12, 2014
      @Tcl Thank you. I have had the rocker for over 40 years and this is my third recover...we did the first 2 and I had it done this time! We covered the larger one. Anyone lucky enough to own one of these chairs is extremely lucky! I love mahogany! I am in the process of varnishing my kitchen table between rain showers which we get almost every day so my living room is a mess! We are also in the process of cleaning out some things to take to Goodwill or have the Step Up Mission come by and pick up!
  • Cheryl Pfirrman Cheryl Pfirrman on Jun 12, 2014
    Don't know what it is, but I love it!
  • Lynn Lynn on Jun 12, 2014
    My parents had one they called it a sleepy hollow rocker do not know if it is the real name. Good luck
  • Connie Connie on Jun 12, 2014
    When I got one like this when my daughter was born, the store called it a Lincoln Rocker. (37 years ago)
  • Cindy Lou Cindy Lou on Jun 12, 2014
    I think it looks like a Mid-century modern design (1950's - early 1970's) except the upholstery appears to be more recent. Just a guess! Did you look on the underside for any clues on a manufacturer?
  • Kathy Kathy on Jun 12, 2014
    I have a gooseneck rocker with the wood on the arms that curve into goose heads. It was left at our house by my husbands grandmother, who lived to be 105. It has been recovered and a favorite rocking chair of the grandchildren.
  • Shari Veater Shari Veater on Jun 12, 2014
    My mom had one and she called it a Lincoln rocker...she loved it, was the only chair that helped her back...she too recovered it several times
  • Mark Hopple Mark Hopple on Jun 12, 2014
    Nice it looks jealous..
  • Merry_sherri Merry_sherri on Jun 12, 2014
    Thank you Jeanette, I love my "odd" chair and yes, everyone who sits in it loves it as well.
  • Bonny McDaniel Bonny McDaniel on Jun 12, 2014
    I googled both Lincoln Rocker and Goose Neck Rocker. The Goose Neck has the same basic shape as the Lincoln Rocker except for the "goosy" look of the woodwork. Some of the Goose Neck have a longer neck and are called Swan Neck Rockers. Some of the Lincoln Rockers had cane seats and backs on them but most of them have some form of upholstery, some with tufts.
  • Merry_sherri Merry_sherri on Jun 12, 2014
    Thank you to everyone who has responded and given me some great leads on naming this style. I haven't recovered the rocker, this is the condition it was in when I acquired it and it's still intact. Some of the wood has been scuffed a bit and I'll eventually tackle that. I'm waiting for inspiration to strike :)
  • Ann Ann on Jun 12, 2014
    I had a chair that looked like the leather part of yours but it wasn't a rocker and it was called a Sleepy Hollow chair.
  • Ann Brownlee Ann Brownlee on Jun 12, 2014
    I have what I call a "Goose Neck Rocker" in my Victorian living room now. I do need to recover the seat. I have it covered with an old quilt now.
  • Franne Franne on Jun 13, 2014
    Hi @Merry_sherri. I'm not sure that your chair is a Lincoln rocker. The shape is similar but not the traditional simple lines. Lincoln rockers are also, traditionally, caned. I have my great-grandma's Lincoln rocker that I has rocked my grandma, my mom, me, my daughter and now her new baby! I had it refinished and did the caning myself. I've included a pic. Your chair looks VERY comfortable and could be a 'new take' on the traditional Lincoln rocker. What ever it is, enjoy it!
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Jun 13, 2014
    A rose is a rose is a rose! It is a beauty and looks so comfortable.
  • Becky Wood Becky Wood on Jun 13, 2014
    I did a little internet snooping I think it more closely resembles a Chesterfield or Slipper Chair. Google Chesterfield Rocker and look at the images.
  • Merry_sherri Merry_sherri on Jun 13, 2014
    Thank you Becky Wood, you are spot on with the identification! It is a Chesterfield rocking chair with it's original upholstery.
  • Gale Thomasson Gale Thomasson on Jun 15, 2014
    I am so happy to find out that the rocker I GOT from my grandpa is a Lincoln rocker. Thank you Franne for the picture of yours.
    • See 2 previous
    • Franne Franne on Jun 18, 2014
      @Gale Thomasson You're is expensive. When I was doing it I was charging .35 cents per HOLE and that was some time ago!!! You can learn how to do it on YouTube. Here's one link for "No Knot" caning... It's a very good video and this gal knows what she's talking about. However, if you're a novice it might be better for you to get a book or check with your local library. I used this method for my rocker and it can be problematic for the beginner. There is another really, really good video by this same woman for the beginner... She's very specific and you might find it useful :-) Good luck!