How do I frame odd-sized pictures?

Pamela Schroder
by Pamela Schroder

I want to frame some odd size pictures. Any suggestions? Too expensive to have them custom made.

  4 answers
  • Mogie Mogie on Mar 02, 2019

    I had pictures smaller then my frames but had mattes. So cut them to size and the mattes are just like a border within the frame. Looks more finished too.

  • Huntress Huntress on Mar 02, 2019

    go to thrift stores, they sell empty frames and pictures in frames. You can remove the old pix to use. If you need one bigger , cut the sides or top in the middle and glue a piece between the 2 pieces to add the size you need. hope that makes sense. Even if the frame is ornate, a straight piece added in the middle of the side of top to lengthen or widen works, you can even add embellishments like the little wooden pieces they sell in the craft stores. If you find some with broken glass, you can use plexiglass which is cheaper than glass and can be cut to fit. I have even just used without glass because most art does not have glass over them.

  • Rymea Rymea on Mar 02, 2019

    You might look online at "Art to Frames". They are the least expensive place I have found for custom framing, about $30 for a 16" x 16" custom frame including glass and hanging hardware.