How do I seal concrete items I have made andwhy is it so importent?

+2
I made some pen/paper wate's out of concrete and they turned out lovely but I've been told they need to be sealed... I don't know how or why can you answer this?
  • Kim Kim on Jun 21, 2017
    Concrete sealer is sold in your local hardware store. Wet a piece of Lambs wool with sealer and rub on your paper weights. Allow to dry according to directions on bottle.
    Hope that helps
    : )

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Jun 21, 2017
    Sometimes concrete items will "dust" as they are handled. It is actually just the dried concrete powder coming off in tiny amounts. You can use any typical sealer...or you can even paint them if you like. Or, you can leave them as is, but just know they may leave a small amount of dust...and you may leave fingerprints from body oils if you handle them much.

• Cyndi Cyndi on Jun 21, 2017
    If you go to your local hardware they'll show you so many options!

• Tam13317878 Tam13317878 on Jun 21, 2017
    melody I would think it was to maintain color. Less of an issue if paper weight as that I presume is for indoors than a pained rock would last outdoors. I would think a spray on lacquer would be sufficient but not sure due to porous nature of rocks

• William William on Jun 21, 2017
    Besides the dusting, concrete is porous and can absorb moisture which will breakit down over time. You can use Mod Podge to seal them. Water based polyurethane doesn't yellow. Clear glaze.