How do you use a wash in painting?

I have a bird bath that is dun/butterscotch colored. The bottom detail looks like it has a wash/dry brushing of a grey/olive green color on it. I know nothing about painting but would like to use terra cotta pots to make a candle holder for citronella candles to match the bird bath. Would love some simple step by step instructions or the web site address that can tell/show me how to do this. Any help will be appreciated.
  • Nichole Eubanks Nichole Eubanks on Jun 20, 2017
    Use as directed

• Jac9685237 Jac9685237 on Jun 20, 2017
      I don't understand what you are trying to tell me, but thanks for trying.

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jun 20, 2017
    A "white wash" or the effect you speak of , is simply watered down paint . If you can find a small amount paint similar in color to the birdbath , pour some into a separate container and slowly add water , a little bit at a time , stirring well , and taking your brush on a scrap piece of wood or cardboard experiment until you get the effect and shade you want . Even then , since you are doing a Terra cotta pot, I'd test it on the inner lip of the pot or the bottom , just to be sure.
    After you have painted your flower pots, I'd consider spraying a clear sealant on them (when the initial paint has dried of course) to protect your hard work from the elements .

• Jac9685237 Jac9685237 on Jun 20, 2017
      Thank you so much. I was afraid to even start purchasing paint before I got some pointers. You were very helpful.

• Caryl S Caryl S on Jun 20, 2017
    If it's "drybrushed" then I use this technique. Using a dry brush, (not put in water) pick up a small amount of paint and rub it onto a dry paper towel. You only want a little bit of paint on the brush. Test your technique on an inconspicuous spot first. Go lightly at first, then increase the pressure until you have the look you want. When more paint is needed, go back to the paint spot on the paper towel to pick up more paint. If that spot gets dry, add a little more paint to the paper towel and continue drybrushing.