Is there a way to replace the wick in a candle?

Could you just melt the leftover candle wax, then drop in a string with a weight on it & let it harden back up?? Would it burn right??

  4 answers
  • Jean Jean on Dec 26, 2017
    Regular string would burn up fast - like wood, I'd think. Candle wicks are a special kind of cotton string pre-soaked in candle wax so they don't burn as quickly. If I had a candle I wanted to keep (like a nice one) I'd go to a dollar store or WalMart and buy cheap candles and get the wick out of one of them to replace your good candle wick. Sometimes you can find old candles in thrift stores as well (Good Will, Salvation Army, etc.). Place cheap candle on a hard surface like concrete and using a hammer or brick, carefully break up the cheap candle to get at the wick then re-use that. Good luck! JH

    • Deane Deane on Dec 26, 2017
      Thank you very much for your help, Jean!!! Merry Christmas!!

  • Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Dec 26, 2017
    Jean is absolutely right about buying a new wick. Tie the new wick onto a pencil and suspend over the candle until it hardens.

  • Susan Massey Susan Massey on Dec 26, 2017
    You can buy packages of candle wicks at WalMart.

    • Deane Deane on Dec 26, 2017
      Thank you, Susan, for the info!! Have a Merry Christmas!!

  • Jean Jean on Dec 26, 2017
    SUSAN! You are the man! Dang. Didn't know this but do now! Thank you!!! JH