What should I use for quilt backing?

+19
I am attempting to make my very first quilt for my grandson for Christmas. It's for a queen size bed and was wondering what I should use for the back side? Would a regular sheet work?
q quilt backing
  • a king sized flat sheet will give you plenty to work with and some color options (and washable). The very wide quilt backing fabric I have seen is like muslin.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Dec 19, 2017
    Most quilters use a sheet. You could make the quilt reversible if you sew on the right color.

• Nanna Nanna on Dec 19, 2017
    If you could find some red flannel, or the fleece (coupons at Joann's) it would make it cozy, and if patterned, would break it up a bit, and if you have any Elvis left, you could use a block to center it with fleece around, or the words as a border, then just use the simple 'tie' in the corners of each Elvis block. Let us know what you end up with. He'll be thrilled no matter how you finish!!

• SandyG SandyG on Dec 19, 2017
    You should go with a king size sheet to allow for quilting or tacking/tying. Otherwise, check at JoAnn's for quilt backing for this size. PS: I still love Elvis!

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 19, 2017
    having done many quilts- do the king sized sheet. wash in hottest water you have and if the sheet is a dark color add vinegar to the wash. it can help set the dye in the sheet. give it 2 rinses after the vinegar. pick the stitching out of the top and bottom hems iron flat.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 19, 2017
    p.s. if you can.. a flannel sheet on the back of the quilt makes it oh so cozy.

• See 1 previous
    • Linda Russell Martin Linda Russell Martin on Dec 29, 2017
      Love this!!! I am also a quilte! But mine are a little different ! I don’t quilt by hand I use my sewing machine! I cut 9” squares and put them together in whatever size I want the quilt! As far as backing I have used cotton material (10 last year for all my grandchildren for Christmas and used all Christmas material!). This Christmas I made my sons and daughters in law one! They were full size and I used fleece( Joann’s) fir the backin! One backing was North Carolina and Tenn. And the other backing was Tenn and Michigan! had extra fleece and made them pillows. One of each fabric! They loved them!! I’m so happy that I can make these keepsakes for them!! Such a joy to make them all one!!! I also have a Easter, Halloween and fall one for me!!! Gotta make me a Christmas one next!!!! happy quiltIng!!!!😀😀😀

• Wendy Ackerman High Wendy Ackerman High on Dec 19, 2017
    Thank you all, I will try the flannel king size sheet. Will post pictures when done.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 20, 2017
    Sheets work well

• Sandy Anderson Sandy Anderson on Dec 21, 2017
    I always use 100% cotton sheets

• Stolzy Stolzy on Dec 21, 2017
    if you go with a good quality color coordinated sheet, flannel is nice depending on the climate... Check the size of the sheet to be sure you have enough to wrap around and trim out your quilt..

• Jude Jude on Dec 21, 2017
    I made a "quilt" for my son (many years ago) and used a clean king size mattress pad for my quilting. It worked, thank goodness, 'cause I didn't want to spend money we didn't have. I just put the pad between two sheets, sewed around it, then tufted it with yarn. He was only two and you would have thought I bought him the moon. I cried, he cried, and my Marine husband hugged us both, while wondering what the dickens had just happened! Now it's our lab-shepherd-collie's quilt and when I wash it, she comes looking for it. Makes me smile to see her curled up on it.

• See 1 previous
    • Jude Jude on Dec 28, 2017
      Now that my son is grown, married with children that is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Dec 22, 2017
    I think that it's awesome that you are doing this for him. I quilted a long time ago, never used sheet. I do wish now that I had thought of it, my only additional advice is to not use a sheet with a high density of cotton in other words using a 300 thread count is good. My reason being that it is closer to the fabric that is used for sewing in general and will allow more flexibility. As they stated before it's very important that you wash it first because 100% cotton shrinks. My kids all have a quilt that was made for them at this point they could care less but it was nice when they were younger,obviously this is for an older kid that will understand and value it. Your great for doing this project and I hope that you continue since it's very relaxing if doing by hand.

• Jodie Woods Jodie Woods on Dec 22, 2017
    I use new flat sheets. You can buy them separately in lots of colors (solids & prints). I always buy a size bigger than my quilt top. For example; your quilt top is queen size so buy a king size flat sheet. There’s some trimming to do but you won’t come up short.

• Wendy Ackerman High Wendy Ackerman High on Dec 29, 2017
    The finished product, I used a king size flannel sheets for the back and my grandson loves it!! Thank you all for the help!!

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 29, 2017
    Sheets work great!

• Nicole Nicole on Dec 30, 2017
    I get flannel sheets on sale at wallmart, king size for what you need

• San32167755 San32167755 on Dec 30, 2017
    I use plain cotton sheets, it's easier to work with. It will lay flatter.