Can you help me figure out what this mystery gadget is?

Have had this for years and no one knows what it is! The soleplate puses down and the blade type things come out then. Any guesses?
q what is this
Blades pulling soleplate down
q what is this
Top view
q what is this
Side view
q what is this
Blades in
q what is this
front view
q what is this
q what is this
The whole thing which is about 10 inches long. It's pretty heavy whatever it is!
  20 answers
  • Shawna Bailey Shawna Bailey on Nov 30, 2016
    I've actually seen one before at a flea market and couldn't figure out what it was. I thought maybe it was to cut multiple wires. I'm interested to see the answers

    • See 2 previous
    • None None on Nov 30, 2016
      Nope. I thought of that years ago and there isn't anyway it will sharpen anything.

  • DB DB on Nov 30, 2016
    It's a team building game. Gather a group. divide them into teams and ask them what they could do with this. Give it as a prize to the person with the best answer---Goodluck

    • See 2 previous
    • None None on Dec 01, 2016
      I'm guessing that it's for taking this thing apart for cleaning. If it is removed then all the parts can be broken down.

  • DEBBIE DEBBIE on Nov 30, 2016
    I a must sure we had this at home too.
    i believe .t is a gadget for sharpening knives etc.

    • See 2 previous
    • None None on Nov 30, 2016
      Lol, if you beat on a can lid with this it surely would open it :)

    • See 9 previous
    • Luis Jarque Luis Jarque on Dec 03, 2016
      It's a knife tenderizer, but I use it mostly to sharpen my steaks ;-)

  • DEBBIE DEBBIE on Dec 01, 2016
    Ok then I think it is a glass cutter

  • Betsy Betsy on Dec 01, 2016
    I know what it is! It's very interesting. Yeah, that's all I have:(

    • See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Dec 04, 2016
      Aaaagggghhhh! My sweetie is a mechanic and I asked him about the Valve Spring Compressor and, 35 minutes later, I know a lot more about them then I want to know! It's used when you are changing the valve spring in the engine. I got the whole series about taking the spark plug out and putting a rope in the cylinder then bringing the piston up to compress the rope so that if you drop anything into the cylinder while changing the spring, it won't get into the engine. Not sure of what comes first here:) Then, changing the whatsit and the thingamajig being in 2 pieces and, I think I nodded off a couple of times:) Anyway, in a nutshell, it's for squishing the valve spring.

    • None None on Dec 01, 2016
      Yep, thank you.Now that one looks dangerous!

  • Roberta Younger Roberta Younger on Dec 02, 2016
    Knife sharpener

  • M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 02, 2016
    Looks like a meat tenderizer, the horizontal cuts it would make, would look like the cubed steak at the market, except they have huge machines do it. Good way to economize, or prep a flank steak or chicken breast for marinating. Yes, I'd use it, but I think I'd submerge the metal part in a pot of water and boil it for 20 minutes and then maybe sand and oil the handle. If the wing nut comes off,then you could wash the parts in your dishwasher. It looks like it could last 200 years! Interested in selling it, haha?

    • See 1 previous
    • M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 24, 2016
      I sculpt in clay and we are always looking for old kitchen tools that can add texture to the clay..maybe you know some clay people?

  • Sharon Ouderkirk Sharon Ouderkirk on Dec 02, 2016
    it is a knife sharpener. we had one in the 50's.

  • Virginia Franzen Virginia Franzen on Dec 02, 2016
    It goes on the sewing machine and makes shirred fabric.

    • None None on Dec 03, 2016
      I have a White machine from the 20's and it has all the attachments. I see where you were going with the shirring idea but it would be way too big. We do know for sure now that it's a meat tenderizer at least till my husband turns it into something else!

  • Tracey B Tracey B on Dec 03, 2016
    Definitely a meat tenderizer- Butcher's Pal Co. Iowa brand
    There's a description in this worthpoint listing

    • None None on Dec 03, 2016
      That sure is the same as mine! Isn't that funny how in 20 years we never could quite figure it out but once you see it in print it's so obvious! I have other stuff here and there that is also unknown. I used to go to estate auctions and you sometimes get a box lot that has more than you wanted in it.

  • Laura Laura on Dec 04, 2016
    I have one of these. It is a vintage meat tenderizer

  • Tin13057546 Tin13057546 on Dec 04, 2016
    It's the launch control arm from a Soviet era MERV 6 multi warhead tactical weapon.

  • Gbr11732838 Gbr11732838 on Dec 05, 2016
    looks like a glass cutter

  • Glenn Badcock Glenn Badcock on Dec 05, 2016
    Its for sharping hand saws.

  • Joh15028544 Joh15028544 on Dec 05, 2016
    Its none of the above mentioned, its a " former"

  • JohnHW JohnHW on Dec 08, 2016
    Butcher's Pal Tenderizer Manufactured and Distributed by Bruchner Machine Co, Cedar Rapids, Iowa Wooden Handle Heavy metal tool has spring loaded "blades" that cut into and tenderize the meat when it's pounded. Blades retract when not in use. Measures about 9-1/2 inches long. Metal head measures about 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 3 inches.

  • Meburke Meburke on Dec 29, 2016
    Knife sharpener

  • Lynne Webb Lynne Webb on Jan 07, 2017
    OK, I'm going to weigh in with something totally different. It has nothing to do with the kitchen or cooking. It was associated with the fiber business many years years ago. I'm not certain how, but I suspect it has to do with weaving (probably cotton) fibers.
    This whole thing reminds me of something my son had. When we had company we had fun getting this 'thing' out and asking if anybody knew what it was. It was flat, gold toned and about 6" long. It had a little pointy thing on the end.
    Finally someone said, "Sure, it was used by the railroad to reset clocks". Mystery solved! The givers husband had been a railroader.