Where to get the material to make a extra large shade?

+1
This is a 90's light fixture. Glass with gold trim. Yes it needs updating bad.
I have asked on here once before about updating it and got a lot of great suggestions. Anywhere from painting the gold a different color, to taking the glass off and just have the chandelier. Putting a shade on it, or replacing the fixture.
I think I would like to make a shade for it. Buying one for this size of light would be expensive. The light measuring around the glass is 79" x 18"tall.
If I could make a oblong barrel shade around that size would hide the glass and still give plenty of light. I don't want to see the fixture so the shade to be made with a thicker material.
My question is what materials do I need to get and where to get it? I have seen some videos of how to make smaller shades, but none for this size shade. If anybody has any more information. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Diane

q where to get the material to make a extra large shade
  • Lori Verni-Fogarsi Lori Verni-Fogarsi on Dec 29, 2017
    If you were interested in a rustic/farmhouse look, you could use a canvas drop cloth as the fabric. Another way to save a lot is to use tablecloths, sheets, or inexpensive curtains instead of purchasing upholstery fabric. However, even if you purchased upholstery fabric, you don’t need terribly much of it (don’t forget that the width of the fabric will give you double the length), especially if you wait for a sale and use a coupon.

Another option that I think would look look really nice would be to paint the entire shade oil rubbed bronze. Rustoleum makes a spray paint that is good on glass, plastic, metal, etc.

Good luck with your project!

• Ela1170477 Ela1170477 on Dec 30, 2017
    Look up solorized window insulators, in Arundle ME
    they are amazing, and can do beyond expectations.
    l have used them in my last three houses, and couldn’t
    be more pleased.

• YEWS YEWS on Jan 02, 2018
    You could replace the glass at a glass shop, make it look like stained glass with glass and "lead" paints from a craft or hobby shop, or order plastic window covers like lace or some other pattern from a catalogue'