What to put on wall that’s termite proof? How to paint melamine

+5

I purchased a condo in Florida and need to do something with a wall in the kitchen. Currently there is wallpaper on the wall which termites have eaten little holes in. I’m not sure what to do for this wall that won’t attract termites. The condo has been sprayed but I don’t want to take chances on attracting them again. I also have a cabinet that is made of melamine that needs painting, what’s the best was to paint it?

Thank you,

Michelle

• Carol Sybrowsky Carol Sybrowsky on Jul 19, 2018

If this is a "Condo" then the adjoining walls and outside walls are the responsibility of the Condo Association. Get them to repair the hole for you. I don't think you have done anything in to "attract" them. Termites eat wood - that's just what they do.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 19, 2018

Hello there, Before you cover up the damage, I suggest you find out how to get rid of the Termites. Is it your responsibility or that of the Freehold owners? You could use Ceramic Tiles or Plastic Tiles, Metal tiles or more wallpaper when it is fixed. If you want to paint melamine, use ESP (Easy Surface Preparation) first...............

• William William on Jul 19, 2018

I agree. If there is a termite problem in the building the condo association should get pro's to eradicate them.

• Sra4757389 Sra4757389 on Jul 19, 2018
      It's all taken care of. I'm leaning towards wallpaper if I don't paint. Thanks

• William William on Jul 19, 2018

For painting melamine just lightly sand to remove any gloss. Prime with a good stain blocking primer. Then paint your color.

• Sra4757389 Sra4757389 on Jul 19, 2018
    Thank you!