Carpet repair question

+7
I was trying to remove a substance from my carpeting and created a hole instead. It's about 1 1/2 inches. I have extra carpeting. How can I fix this hole without replacing the entire carpet and make the repair look seamless? Thanks in advance.

• Marilla Waltrip Monroe Marilla Waltrip Monroe on Dec 31, 2017
    Cut a square just larger than the hole and the same size patch of the spare carpet, use carpet tape UNDER the patch. Then, after it sets, vacuum to blend the two pieces. It should look fine.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Dec 31, 2017
    I would cut out a circle or square as small as you can and make a pattern from the piece you cut out and then plug it (or by using a piece of paper). I would glue it in place using hot glue or an epoxy. Put a little glue under the edge of the carpet already down where you are plugging it so that it won't flip up when walking on it.

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Dec 31, 2017
    These ladies have been there and done that! However, I would combine the two answers. Take the trip to the store and buy the carpet tape, don't use any type of glue. (if you replace the carpet down the road, there may be issues) Then, I'd put small amounts of carpet tape under the existing carpet just around the perimeter of the hole you've cut and then, under your patch. If there's a nap, follow it. You'll never be able to find the hole again!

• Marion Marion on Dec 31, 2017
      Thanks. Just to be clear, it's a very small hole but the area around it is larger and worn. So should I apply what you are saying to that area? Lay down new carpeting on top of the tape?

• William William on Dec 31, 2017
    Super tips from Marilla and Jeanette! Take your extra carpet. Make sure the pattern and nap go in the same direction as the damaged carpet. Cut a square out of the extra carpet larger than the hole. Lay it over the hole. Use a razor knife and cut around the carpet patch about 1/16" less than the patch. It will fit snug. Then use carpet tape, hot glue, E6000 to glue the patch in. Press down real well. Fluff up the edges with your fingers to hide the seams.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Dec 31, 2017
    You can cut a square patch and put it into the hole which has also been cut square. Try to match the pattern and direction of the nap. Glue the patch down and then fluff it up to make it blend in.

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Jan 01, 2018
    Yep! Just stick that new carpet piece into the void, making sure you've got carpet tape on the back. It will stick to the pad and anchor to the surrounding carpet. Just don't use hot glue. It may really do a number on the pad and then you'll be able to see the difference in height.

• Marion Marion on Jan 02, 2018
    Thanks!