Opinions please!

+4
We have hardwood floors in our kitchen that have been patched with mismatched planks, looks very worn. We cannot decide weather to have the floor repaired and refininised, or tear it out and put in water resistant laminate there and throughout the main living spaces, including 2 carpeted bathrooms, excluding the bedrooms. I would take pictures but the kitchen/dining area with the worn wood is covered with rugs. The carpets in the living and den and hallways, bathrooms are off white. I really am leaning to all laminate, as above. My husband just wants new carpets and? In the bathrooms. I personally think it will look more uniform and clean all the same laminate, not chopped up. Opinions? BTW we live in the foothills of CA, dirty, dusty, and two big dogs.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 30, 2017
    Two big dogs may be a problem, as well as in the kitchens and the bathrooms where the possibility of water spills are great. There are vinyl planks that may be better. Our three big dogs are hard on hardwood floors with the dust. dirt rain and snow they bring in the house through the doggy door, I can imagine that your two may cause a problem. It is no different than the laminate on furniture. I hope this may help you some. My back room that leads out to the back yard actually has a wood look tile on the floor that works really well with the dogs coming in and out and it butts up to hardwood in our small dining room and blends in real well.

• Barbara Barbara on Dec 30, 2017
    Hi Linda, we moved from CA and we understand the dirt and dust. We lived in the hi desert. The laminate floors Would be great throughout the house, but tiles are best in the bathrooms. As a matter of fact we removed all carpet except in bedrooms. As for carpet in the bathrooms....gross! You could try removing some of the wood flooring from areas that you want
    to change and splicing into the areas that are damaged then having them resanded and finished, if you want to save money.

• My2scents My2scents on Dec 31, 2017
    never replace real hardwood with laminate, especially in wet areas. We had laminate near a back door and had to rip it all out after three years. with dogs, we put down sheet vinyl.

• M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 31, 2017
    Dogs,and dust are not kind to laminate.And who wants to wait for the fumes to leave from that stuff!?! Dogs will wear away the pattern in laminate, down to its base color, even if you get something pretty solid. All of the seams in laminate make it vulnerable to grit and water and whatever wet slobbery dogs, water/food bowls can get on the floor. (Personally I love dogs, but when they come inside - sheesh! A friend of mine taught his dogs to dunk their paws in a outside bucket of water before he'd let them in - a LOT of work!!) Dust and grit will dig in and leave marks, pretty soon traffic patterns appear. I think the best options are porcelain tile, maybe the larger sizes or a durable sheet vinyl (very few seams). If you find a good flooring shop, you could be assured your flooring will be in stock for a few years, enabling you to do your floor in stages, but all in the same material. You will love how easy it is to just do a quick dry mop most days...

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 31, 2017
    Your dogs will hate the laminate as they can't get traction and slide. Not good for old dog hips.
    As far as the wood, I would say it depends upon the age of the house and the look you are attempting to get. Laminate throughout is the best, although it always will look like laminate, not wood. It's also cleaner with dogs. If you have a 100 year old house and are trying to keep the character of the house, I'd say refinish the original floors.
    Carpets today, are for bedrooms only.

• Christine Henry Martinez Christine Henry Martinez on Dec 31, 2017
    laminate all the way.

• New Moon Vintage New Moon Vintage on Dec 31, 2017
    I would repair and refinish. Love the hardwood look. I have a dog and a cat and I will tell you where I have carpet the hair collects from the pets that you don't notice until you are like the dog needs to be shaved. I do have laminate in my home which I liked in the beginning but it does a have certain clicky sound to them when you walk with heels. But you do notice more of the shedding which is ok because you can get it up before it collects.