Polyurethane over pergo?

+6
Our dogs no matter what pee in the laundry room. We have just latex a beautiful reclaimed look pergo max floor with extra underlaymen. My question is can I polyurethane the laundry room portion to prevent urine from seeping into cracks? im open to any suggestion. Thanks

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 02, 2018
    First I would have vet visit to see if there is any reason for your dog peeing inside like a UTI. Then I would buy a crate and train your dog, they need to develop bladder control and this is the easiest way... http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
    Then I would lay something waterproof over the laundry room floor to put the crate on. I used to train dogs, and we trained 14 wk old puppies in a week or two.
    I wouldn't poly a laminate floor because it needs to expand and contract with the weather and humidity, otherwise it may buckle or warp. If the dog continues to urinate on it.... it will warp and those boards will need to be replaced, so get some extra to keep on hand

• Liz Sanders Duren Liz Sanders Duren on Jan 02, 2018
    Agree with Sharon,and if they are males, belly band them.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 02, 2018
    What I have done in the past is get the puppy pee pads. Start where they are using the laundry room floor and put them down on those spots. Gradually move them away from the laundry room to where you let them out. It may take time, let then have time to get used to the pads and using them. If you have a fenced yard, I would suggest putting in a doggy door of the appropriate size for your dogs. Once you get to the door, try to train them to bark or whine when they want to go out, or hang something from the doorknob they can make noise with, like a cowbell or something. Make sure you praise them plenty when the pee on the pads and not on the floor in the laundry room! They really do live for praise and attention from their human parents.

• See 1 previous
    • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 03, 2018
      I'm a been there done that too, I had two sisters that are Chinese Crested Powderpuffs that are just as bad, Even after almost fifteen years no luck. The girls learned to lift their legs like males from a male my hubby had on the truck and they never stopped marking with a dribble everywhere.

• Hbr31333664 Hbr31333664 on Jan 02, 2018
    My cat used to ring the sleigh bells when she wanted out...taught herself.
    As for the puppy pads make sure you buy the ones with LEAK PROOF bottom. Also I would clean your floor with Miracle Care or Nilador or something that not only kills the enzymes but the bacteria as well. I believe vinegar and water will work as well. They may still smell where they marked their territory which is why they still are using that area.

• Kim Holly McCoy Kim Holly McCoy on Jan 03, 2018
      they use that area because that is where they sleep their beds are there and they will be on their beds we take up the water at 8 they go out all day long and one last time at 10 pm the potty and pee and still pee at night this is all three of them so there is a flood. we have three boxes of flooring left and will probably use it all. maybe I could just seal the cracks.

• Patty Dell'Anno Patty Dell'Anno on Jan 02, 2018
    Hi Kim, I have 3 chihuahuas. They pee in the house no matter what. They will use the pee pee pads most of the time but not always. So don't let everyone make you feel bad, they are just impossible. Treats, praise attention they don't care. If it's cold, snowing, raining or any reason they don't feel like going out, they won't.

thanks Patty its been a struggle. we just took them out and picked up the water at 8pm. my little girl just came in squatted and peed on my rug. I'm going crazy