Putting shine back onto bathroom countertop

Hi, A few weeks ago I put a bottle of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner unbeknownst to me it was leaking (that product is terrible). The lids just do not work properly! Anyway, it left a blue ring on the countertop. I proceeded to try to remove this ring. I had to resort to using an SOS pad which did remove it but now has left a dull spot. Please help me as I don't know what to use to help bring the shine back. It looks terrible in the bathroom. Is there any product that can help? Thanks
  13 answers
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 07, 2016
    What is the counter top made of ?

  • William William on Sep 07, 2016
    I assume the countertop is solid surface or Corian. The toilet bowl cleaner actually ate through the clear coat and using the SOS pad, you actually rubbed through the clear coat. Refinishing or replacing the countertop is the only option. There are cleaners and polishers that will mask the dullness temporarily. Counter-Gloss Cleaner at Walmart, Weiman, Granite, Cleaner & Polish at Walgreens, Rejuvenate Countertop Polish at Home Depot.

  • Debbie Kuhar Debbie Kuhar on Sep 08, 2016
    May be try "old English clear Furniture polish. Only a temp fix.

  • Paticia G Paticia G on Sep 08, 2016
    This has happened to me with clear coated marble counter tops with anything that had any alcohol in it. I used a high gloss clear nail top coat and it did help to hide the spot a little bit( or a non yellowing polyeurathane) ( sorry about spelling- just couldn't get it right)

  • Vpb8080955 Vpb8080955 on Sep 08, 2016
    Get a can of auto paste wax and apply it to your counter top. Let it dry and use an electric buffer or attach a buffer to a drill ( they have drill attachment buffers at Lowes) then buff it, repeat and buff again. This may take a little time, but should work.

  • Linda Gall Linda Gall on Sep 08, 2016
    There is a product that works on ceramic,Formica,and marble. Gel gloss in the pink can. I use this product on my sinks tub ect. Buy at hardware store

    • Tina Tina on Sep 08, 2016
      I don't know the pink gel you are speaking of Linda. Do you or anyone else happen to know the name of it?

  • Wowhavs Wowhavs on Sep 08, 2016
    Giannini Top Coat (Amazon)

  • Tricia Jackson Jones Tricia Jackson Jones on Sep 08, 2016
    I used something from Home Depot years ago that worked great. I think it was called Bona.

  • Theresa Langdon Theresa Langdon on Sep 08, 2016
    Haven't had time to try any of the solutions offered! Thanks everyone!

  • Linda Gall Linda Gall on Sep 09, 2016
    The product name is called "Gel Gloss" it comes in a can that' s colored pink. Hope this helps.

  • Mike Wagner Mike Wagner on Sep 09, 2016
    When we used to have a fifth wheel camper, I used Gel Gloss on the fiberglass exterior to make it shine! If nowhere else, I'm sure that Camping World still sells it. They also have an online presence if there's not a store in your vicinity! Do a Google Search for "Gel Gloss" and I'm sure you will get some hits!

  • Sheila D Sheila D on Sep 10, 2016
    what is the counter top made of-tile, marble, laminate?

  • Sheila D Sheila D on Sep 12, 2016
    Theresa, Check with professional or big box store as being laminate/formica it may not be fixable-it does not have a protective layer and can not be resealed if stripped.