Best way to spruce up cabinets?

+7
I have tons of wooden kitchen cabinets. Looking worn. So much hardware. So many cabinets. Ideas to brighten up cabinets and redo same hardware?

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Dec 12, 2017
    paint is your answer...the hardware can be painted with rustoleum metal paint in the colour of your choice...I painted the handles and hinges pewter to cover the 1980’s bronze, painted the kitchen cabinets with a chalk paint (not distressed) and sealed it with a semi gloss polycrylic...it was time consuming, but really brightened up the dark and dated cabinets without spending a ton of money-it helped that I liked the style of the cabinets and the configuration

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 12, 2017
    Do you want to paint or stain them or change out the hardware and rejuvenate the wood?

• Ken Ken on Dec 12, 2017
    Rust-Oleum, Nuovo, and Giani all sell paint kits on Amazon that are specifically made to do what you want to do. Send before and after pictures, please!

You can paint or replace the hardware. Painting requires that you get the surface meticulously clean then scuff up all over with fine sandpaper, wire brush, industrial scotchbrite or something similar. There have been a few people on this forum who complain about paint coming back off of the hardware. It's all in the surface prep.

Since you will have a lot to do you could drop them in a bucket of water and TSP in quantity to help with your cleaning chore. Replacement is good for a few but when there are a lot it can get spendy.

• Siella Scott Siella Scott on Dec 21, 2017
      Thanks. Definitely need to clean, not replace. There's so many, even cheap replacements can be costly as I've tried to price them before.

Wow! Bold move. ☺ I'm thinking I wouldn't be happy with 1/3 of my kitchen "open". Great idea tho. If not so many lovely idea though.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Dec 12, 2017
    Here is how I re-did my laundry room cabinets - http://chascrazycreations.com/inexpensive-laundry-room-makeover/

Another option is Dixie Belle Paint. Super easy to work with, little to no prep work, great tutorials, and wonderful customer service - http://www.dixiebellepaintcompany.com/shop/?aff=9

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 12, 2017
    If you want a quick fix - and the cabinets are wood tone - try Restore-A-Finish. It will cover worn areas and scratches. Rub on with a soft cloth, wipe off with a second cloth. Wear gloves and old clothing. As for the hardware remove it. Soak it in Sudsy Ammonia and scrub with steel wool pads, to make sure there is no grease on the item. (If there is a trace of grease, the paint will peel) Let dry a day or so on an old towel. (Since it is wintertime and you cannot do this outside) Put newspaper in an old box (in a garage or ventilated basement) lay the hardware on the wrong side and spray paint with a metal color finish. Do 2 coats. Let dry well. Do the other side. Let dry . Replace on the cabinets.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm sick of the dated, dark wood. I think I might be ready to try chalk painting for cabinets along with rustoleum paint for hardware. AFTER the holidays!