How to make smooth transition between two floors

by Cte9813171
Our dining room has two doorways - both down to hardwood floors we are refinishing - would like ideas on how to make a 'trip-free' transition.
q how to make smooth transition between two floors, flooring, home improvement, small home improvement projects
  7 answers
  • William William on Oct 10, 2016
    All kinds of transition molding available for all kinds of applications. *****

  • Jackie Byrd Jackie Byrd on Oct 11, 2016
    It is a great question. I just bought a house and had the carpeting replaced with engineered laminate flooring. They install "T molding" at the doors to each bedroom and at the transition to the dining/kitchen tile. The T mold has a huge profile for anyone on a walker, impaired sight, or disability. In fact, I trip over the dining/kitchen T mold last week. Broke 2 fingers in my fall and now have to have surgery on Wed. to fix the breaks. Lumber Liq. has no solution, the installer doesn't have one, everyone says they have to be there otherwise the warranty is violated. Well, my well being is much more important than any warranty that the company has a history of not honoring anyway. I'm thinking of some sort of rubber than could be squeezed slightly if the flooring expands but would be flush to the floor. I understand and accept the transition molding that was needed going from the high wood flooring to the vinyl flooring in the bathrooms. But, it's the T molds that are my problem.

    • See 1 previous
    • Jackie Byrd Jackie Byrd on Oct 11, 2016
      Thanks, Sandy. I just know that there's a better solution than these high profile T molding pieces.

  • Lisa Terry Hann Lisa Terry Hann on Oct 11, 2016
    You can use the same hardwood as you're using on the floors. Cut off the lip, trim it to the width, depth you need and lay it in. I really detest those metal strips that you see in hardware stores so I'll try anything before I resort to them. Lucky so far! LOL We also used marble transition pieces which are really lovely, expensive here though and they can break easily when being handled. Once they're down, they're fine. Good luck!

  • Terry Wheeler Scarlett Terry Wheeler Scarlett on Oct 11, 2016
    I have a transition from ceramic to Linolium. Ithe end caps kept coming up. So Gorilla glue to the rescue. Been there for 10 years now and hasn't budged since. Hard to get ceramic to stick to Linolium but this worked. I think you will always have a slight transition though unless you build the subfloor up to the level of other floor. Just my opinion.

  • Mary Mary on Oct 11, 2016
    WE don't have this transition in our flooring heights, but we do have it for our doors to the outside. Larger "step" than what you're showing....and I'm so clumsy I tend to trip every time, even though I know it's there! I am hoping we can find some sort of wood molding that will look like the casing, but that is triangular shaped, rounded edge, perhaps. I'll let you know if I can find what I'm talking about and take a picture...or I'll have to have my husband "design" it per my directions...that's always a comedy adventure! :) Hope you find something!

  • Cba12843115 Cba12843115 on Oct 11, 2016
    There is a floor leveling product to fill in the hole it's sold at home depot. Just ask someone in the flooring department. My sister and I used it on here kitchen floor and the contractor came in and thought she had it done by a pro and were far from pro's! LOL

  • Margaret E Margaret E on Oct 11, 2016
    I found a piece of decorative trim in the moulding section of either Home Depot or Lowe's that worked at the 3/8 inch transition between the tile in the kitchen and the hardwood in the dining room.