Ground Cover

I want to grow ground cover with flowers - when to plant them and what is a good kind for michigan weather.

• Barbara Baldwin Barbara Baldwin on Dec 08, 2017
    Soap plant, various kinds of thyme, marigolds

• Bbc10296812 Bbc10296812 on Dec 08, 2017
    Creeping Myrtle (Vinca Minor) is good in Colorado where we have little precipitation but might be invasive where you are. Sweet woodruff does well in Wisconsin. Ajuga and lamium like a bit more water than we have here although they also grow in my yard as does lily-of-the-valley. Look at your neighbors' yards. If you know an older gardener (like myself), they'll probably love to share plants so you can figure out what works best. That's how I got my ground covers started decades ago! Good luck.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 08, 2017
    I like the vinca, but it can certainly creep and become invasive so research its characteristics.

It the only ground cover -that thrives at my location where nothing wants to grow like under cedar trees or at the roadside. Its nice to have a cheerful self sustaining flowering ground cover not to have the all weeds. I dont minds its creeping tendency, Ill pull up areas and transplant in other areas.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 08, 2017
      Additionally you may want a personal recommendation unique to your soil and climate.

A great resource that I have used and highly recommend .....is your local Cooperative extension. These offices are manned by a wonderful team of master gardeners that know your local situation quite well. There's also email ( submit a photo) Q&A resources that have helped me many times. Consider googling up your local extensions office.

Do an internet search ask garden expert and your state ———you'll find.......

”Fill out the Ask an Expert form below to submit your question. An Extension Master Gardener will reply via email within 48 hours. Please provide as much relevant detail as possible. If you attach photos, please ...”