How do I make animal and or decorative topiary frames?

+2
Topiaries are expensive and so are the frames. I would love to grow more besides my heart & circle shapes, perhaps a fun animal shape. Can anyone shed some mad gardening skills on this DIY my way?

• Mir Graham Mir Graham on Jun 13, 2017
    Depending on if you are shaping junipers or boxwoods, you will need to find plants with fuller bushes to frame out. Also, summer time is not the time for this when its so hot. Cutting them now can easily kill them.

• Faith Spear Faith Spear on Jun 13, 2017
    Make your frame with chicken wire. You can cut squres and rectananges from chicken wire and then shape them into 3-dimensional tubes, cubes or orbs. Wire several shapes togther to make a sculpture. 4 tubes form legs, a egg-shaped blob for a body and a ball for head could be the start of many animals. These shapes do mot need to be perfect, they are only a framework. Stuff the chicken wire frame with moist spaghnum and peat moss, then plant a few small vining plant like ivy or creeping fig in the moss. Water or mist everyday and clip the plants to get the look you want. Will take months, but VOILA!

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 13, 2017
    First off have you ever done this before. Pruning bushes into shapes requires a lot of skill and the right shrubs and temperatures.

• Yvonne Buckley Yvonne Buckley on Jun 14, 2017
    I have seen where others use wire clothes hangers which are easy to shape.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 14, 2017
    You can use a tomato cage turned upside down to create a topiary. Duct tape it on top of a large pot. Then plant ivy or any crawling plant in the pot. I do this with Christmas Tree clippings for my front porch. Of course it's not going to grow but it looks pretty. Hope this helps.