I used cedar mulch on my veggie garden. What problems will I have?

• Julie Julie on Jun 22, 2017
    U might find that it doesn't break down as readily as grass clippings leaves, straw or compost which decompose into soil building organic matter. chips r ok around perennials such as rhubarb ,asparagus. Cedar is not as popular for vegetable gardens. Most people prefer biodegradable mulches. They also fill the soil with nutrients as they decompose .All the best Happy Gardening

• Shoshana Shoshana on Jun 22, 2017
    The problem with using any woody material as a mulch is that it draws essential nitrogen from the soil as it decomposes. It shouldn't be much of a problem as long as the mulch stays on the soil's surface, but once it is mixed into the soil, decomposition speeds up and is spread evenly through the soil. Because of this, cedar mulch problems arise in beds that are tilled regularly, such as vegetable gardens.

• Wanda Wanda on Jun 22, 2017
    Thank you for your advice. I don't plan on tilling the garden come spring, so breakdown shouldn't be an issue. I used it because it was all I had available. My main concern is any nutrients that may be leached out of the soil because it is cedar. Any advice on that?