How can I modernize this little drop leaf table?

Laine
by Laine
+8
This is the size of an end table with a built in silverware storage, the tag inside reads" 1881 Rogers by Oneida Ltd on the tables of the Hollywood Stars" which I'm sure is the silverware , also has the brass feet like a Duncan Phyfe. Any suggestions on making it a bit more modern?
q can anyone tell me anything about this little drop leaf table , painted furniture, painting wood furniture
  • Suzanne Suzanne on May 04, 2016
    Love Duncan Phyfe furniture!! This is quite a find, and I'd have a hard time refinishing it......but a grey chalk paint with some silvery touches would be super pretty....and would be a reflection of the silverware inside!!

• Laine Laine on May 04, 2016
      Thank You Suzanne is it a Duncan Phyfe or do other furniture makers do a similar style as well

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 04, 2016
    Personally I would not paint that piece. It is very rare to see that style and to me you will be taking away from it.

• MN Mom MN Mom on May 04, 2016
    Please don't paint this! If anything clean it up and give it s fresh stain. If it were a more popular style table that is common I would say go for it but this piece is pretty unique.

• Tammy Sea Tammy Sea on May 04, 2016
    From the quick research that I did, this table seems to be a fairly rare antique. So rare, in fact, that the experts on Antique Road Show couldn't put a value to it because they'd never seen one. Personally, I would have a difficult time modifying this piece at all. I'd clean it up, oil it, clean the hardware, and leave it as is.

• Laine Laine on May 04, 2016
      I had been thinking of taking the silverware dividers and such out of the box and reclining it. Had thought of giving it to our daughter for remotes/magazines etc. Now not sure what to do.😳

• Connie Connie on May 04, 2016
    If it is indeed rare then a refinish would take away from the monetary value. A restoration however would be a different story. We have a friend who is a cabinet maker by trade but has worked on restorations at the White House and often works with Sothebys etc. he told us that refinishing a valuable antique is not the way to go. Maybe try getting hold of a reputable cabinet maker/ furniture restorer and talk to them before making any decision. It is a very pretty piece you've got there.

• Connie Connie on May 04, 2016
    P.S. If it is a rare antique even relining would detract from the value.

• If you have someone close to you who can appraise it then you will KNOW if it is a rare antique or a re-make. From there, you can do as you please. :)