Advice for painting a dresser?

How can I paint a vintage dresser without the dresser feeling rough after painting. what steps need to be made to do it the right way and what kind of materials and paint and other stuff do I need to have a dresser that is painted and have that smooth finish to last. I painted a dresser before turned out nice but it ended up being rough and you couldn’t realy wipe it off when dusty so I was upset that it didn’t turn out well.

• Wendy Wendy on Jul 16, 2018

You came to the right place! It sounds like you may need to apply a varnish as a top coat. Check out this tutorial:

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/bedroom/dressers/diy-painted-dresser-29171000?expand_all_questions=1

• Marie Kaniecki Marie Kaniecki on Jul 16, 2018

Hi thank you for the suggestion and reference. I believe we used some type of top coat on the previous dresser but thinking maybe it was not the right kind? It was recommended by an employee from Home Depot but we don’t think it helped at all.

• Kim Kim on Jul 16, 2018

If using chalk paint (which is so simple) you will need to clear coat it...it can be satin , high gloss or Matt clear coat

• Gee3037299 Gee3037299 on Jul 27, 2018

after putting on the clear coat you have to (hand) sand it with fine sandpaper but you have to wet the paper. Don't press to hard. just lightly