Can food coloring be added to white paint to change the color?

+3
  • Bobbie M Bobbie M on Jun 11, 2017
    No, only dyes. You can buy almost any color of paint at paint store or Home Depot, Lowes, because they mix different color dyes and paint, not food coloring, to the original base color.

• William William on Jun 11, 2017
    Bobbie is correct. I mix a lot of my own paint colors. Can't stand to let anything go to waste. I use plastic cups to mix small amounts of paint till I get what I'm looking for. I also like buying oops paint. I also do the same with stain. Many color charts online for color mixing.

• Lavonne Lavonne on Jun 11, 2017
    OK - if you are doing a craft project that isn't going to last forever - then go ahead! the color will fade and you will find that you need a lot of it but for crafting it doesn't matter. If this is an important job like painting a room, then follow the instructions above. They are very wise.

• Sharon Sharon on May 31, 2018
    Can you Tent paint With food coloring

• Shawna Bobo Shawna Bobo on May 19, 2020

How do you mix dye into white paint? Do you just take a little and add the powdered dye to it and stir or what do you do?