Chalk paint

+6

Can I chalk paint laminate cabinets? Do I need to sand first or can I just paint directly? What finish do I need to put once I’m done? These are in the restroom. Thank you

q can i chalk laminate cabinets do i
  • 33499099 33499099 on Jul 30, 2018

I just finished a small piece that I used chalk paint on. It wasn't laminate but did have a shellac type finish on it. It did cover with chalk paint. As to the finish they sell wax that you put on and you can get it in clear or antique but will have to redo the wax finish every year or two.

• Judy skiles Judy skiles on Jul 30, 2018

I chalk painted all my kitchen cabinets without sanding, then I distressed them all, then sealed with polyurethane. They have held up well and it's been like 3 years or so....

• Chris aka monkey Chris aka monkey on Jul 30, 2018

make sure they are very clean and dry I would lightly sand with a fine grit sandpaper to give the laminate some tooth, no primer needed probably two coats of paint and seal with wax or poly hope this helps xx

• Paul Dempsey Paul Dempsey on Jul 30, 2018
    Sand them with a 150 grit paper to help with adhesion. A good primer is also a good idea for laminate so you get a good bond. You can also do a glazing on the cabinets. Hometalk just did a tutorial on this if you want to look at that. Finish with a Poly if you want.