Formica walls do-over

BCF
by BCF
+9
I have old formica walls in bathroom of 1930's beach cottage. Desire easy paint over but don't know if it will adhere. Ideas?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 30, 2016
    You will have to lightly sand the formica,clean,prime,paint and seal.

• See 1 previous
      As I see it there is nothing to loose. If it does not work for you we will research other options.

• William William on Sep 30, 2016
    Follow Janet's advice, but make sure you use a paint made for bathrooms.

• Johnchip Johnchip on Sep 30, 2016
    I say this because the bathroom is the most private and important place you will use a couple times every day as will your guests, the kitchen second. I wouldn't bother with all the work to end up with a cheap fix. It is not that expensive to replace these very old, ugly, out dated, shabby walls and enjoy your beach house. You will put in maybe a grand in supplies, weeks in labor and for maybe 1-2 grand can have it replaced or covered fresh and done for a lifetime. Best investment rooms in any investment property.

• Sue Harviel Sue Harviel on Oct 01, 2016
    Painting is a good option. Just make sure you do the prep work necessary or the paint will slide right off the wall making for more work and more money out of your pocket. Another option is wallpaper. Wallpaper is making a huge comeback. These days there are so many options to wallpaper. You can get one color wallpaper, textured (such as grass cloth - my personal favorite) or even paintable wallpaper. The great thing about wallpaper is you glue it on. No sanding, no priming....just spread the paste and slap it up. Personally, I'd go with this option because.....I'm a lazy DIYer at every opportunity....and I happen to love wallpaper. Good luck whichever way you decide to go!

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Oct 01, 2016
    This is a place that shiplap or beadboard would work perfectly. Such an easy and inexpensive way to change the look and update the room to reflect the cottage/beach look.

• Vel1629730 Vel1629730 on Oct 01, 2016
    These are all great ideas...But if you want a really quick fix, I'd suggest spray paint. Rustoleum and some other brands have come out with spray paint and spray primer for plastic (like lawn chairs)...They have great colors now, too. You could even spray one color, let cure, then apply low stick painter's tape and paint a design like stripes, or use a stencil and have a walll paper effect. Just wear a face mask, open all the windows, because o f the spray paint fumes. Follow can directions to avoid spray drips, and cover the floor. The airbourne particlees will leave a "dust" and it can get tracked all over the house. If you're spraying a large area, invest a couple of dollars in a "spray can trigger" (don't know what it's really called) that attached to the top of the can and makes spraying a lot easier on your hand. Also, I would get some plastic gloves to keep your hands clean. Good luck on your project.

• BCF BCF on Oct 01, 2016
    Thanks all!

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Oct 01, 2016
    They make a paint for Formica and apparently it looks good and adheres well.

• Mick Clark Mick Clark on Oct 01, 2016
    Web-search for laminate painting instructions. If it holds up on kitchen countertops it must work very well.

• Cindy Cindy on Oct 02, 2016
    I painted my countertops before with BIN primer (Zinsser), and oil based paint. It held up well, for about 5 years except the edges. Those I had to touch up, but I am guessing your walls won't get much knife traffic!