Can I paint kitchen cabinets that are not real wood?

+3
  • Dave Dave on Jan 09, 2018
    You can paint just about anything. The prep is the most important part. I would go to your local building supply store and get the process they recommend they will also have the materials you need.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 09, 2018
    Yes, usually the process is to clean the surface with a degreaser, take off the doors and number them so you know exactly where they go when you're done. Then use 1-2 coats of a good primer and 2-3 coats of your paint. Some people also like to use 3-4 coats of a sealer to really lock in the paint and help it last longer. However, if you do that, it will be much harder to repaint if you wish to change it in the future. You can always uses your search engine (probably google or bing) and type in ' how to paint _____ cabinets , (put your type of cabinets in the blank.) That will give you any additional instructions you might need. Wishing you the best.

• Ken Ken on Jan 09, 2018
    Agree with Dave. Surface preparation is everything. Clean. Scuffed up. You do those well, buy good paint like Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch, and you are sure to be successful.

• Amanda Amanda on Jan 09, 2018
    Hello. You sure can. Make sure you clean them well first with dish soap and water. I would then prime the cabinets and paint. If you have a area in a garage or outside I would remove the doors to prep and paint. It makes it a lot easier. Good Luck!

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 09, 2018
    While it is 'possible' to do this, I would suggest you first read through all of the postings here on Hometalk from others who have tried unsuccessfully. This project is not fast, easy, or cheap, any way to look at it, and even after going to the expense of purchasing high quality materials, necessary tools, and the time of your labour, there is still no guarantee that the results will be durable, lasting, attractive, or will meet with your expectations.

• Linda Cabler Linda Cabler on Jan 09, 2018
    Yes. But use Kilz sealer first then paint over it.