Can you watercolor on canvas?

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 12, 2017
    I am trying to think back to my art days in school that I loved. I believe that you have to coat the canvas in another medium before using water colors so that it had something to stick or soak into. Too many years ago! Check into the hobby stores, they may have some that you can water color on, or can direct you to what you need. Normally you would water color on special water color paper.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 12, 2017
    No cause in water color painting you wet the paper. They do make different thicknesses called pounds. Walmart has inexpensive acid-free watercolor paper..... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sax-Economy-140-lb-Watercolor-Paper-White-Pack-of-50-Sheets/24268249 and they also sell pads of watercolor paper.
    What Nancy is referring to treat canvas is gesso. You can make a runny solution of acrylic or oil colors and get some similar techniques to water color painting.

• ArtisMe2 ArtisMe2 on Dec 13, 2017
    No, you cannot watercolor on canvas, but you can dilute your acrylic paint to resemble watercolor!