Painting furniture that has a polyurethane (?) finish

+2
This old dresser has a glossy finish of some kind. I just have to get rid of that shiny brown!

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jan 05, 2018
    Hi there, those old oil based finishes are really hard to remove even with an electric sander. Every time I've tackled sanding them down I've wish I had just stripped the piece first instead.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jan 05, 2018
    I would lightly sand before painting. You might check out Dixie Belle Paint as they have little to no prep work and the paint goes on great for these type projects.

• Jawene Jawene on Jan 05, 2018
    start by sanding it to get shiny finish off. Next use Zinsser white pigmented shellac in either spray (you need to do outdside) or the paint on version with a brush (in well-ventilated are). once yu have done this & allowed to dry you can paint it with most any paint. 2 coats. Lightly sand after first coat. after second coat drys completely use 2 coats of polyurethane to seal. I have refinished many pieces of furniture in various pitiful states, & this always works & it is permanent!

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jan 06, 2018
    Sand with a palm sander of Mouse and use a stripper to the hard places. Or...paint over with chalk paint after a light hand sanding.