How do I paint shiplap?

+1

I am wanting to know what the best paint would be to use for shiplap< and the wood is already treated but not painted, it's been natural in my house for years. I want to paint it white. Also do i use a paint brush or can I use a roller? I know to paint with the grain but I am not sure about the previous questions..Any advice would be much appreciated..Thank you!

• Rose Middleton Rose Middleton on Aug 31, 2018

Use TSP to wash the wood and let it dry thoroughly. Prime and paint. You can use a roller to apply, but still need to brush it out.

• Sharon Sharon on Aug 31, 2018

If the wood is raw (unfinished in any way), are you wanting to white wash it so you can still see the wood grain? If so make a solution of 50% latex paint and 50% water.... you can brush or roll on and then wipe off with old rags. Do a test board to see how long you want it to set before wiping off excess.... the long the paint mix is on the more opaque it will be.

If just wanting a painted wood wall, I would prime..... if there is resin and knots in the wood, I would use Zinseer B-I-N, and then give a light sand for a smooth finish, and paint. I would use a satin finish paint so it can be washed and have a slight glow to it. If the wood is very rough, you may want to sand it before starting the job, vacuum well and wipe with tack clothes before priming.

• Katie-HomespunHabits Katie-HomespunHabits on Sep 04, 2018

We just primed and painted. Using a roller is much faster than a brush.

• TheHoneycombHome TheHoneycombHome on Sep 06, 2018

I learned the hard way that if you don't use the right paint, wood knot spots will start bleeding through. I was able to correct it with the right paint, you can read about it here: https://thehoneycombhome.com/covering-wood-knot-spots-with-paint/