What can I do to paint over stained ceiling beam?

+3
q what can i do to paint over stained ceiling beam
  • Sharon Sharon on Dec 09, 2017
    You would need to put a coat of stain-blocking primer on first to prevent it bleeding through the paint. Kilz or Zinseer B-I-N. Then paint with your choice, think I would use a satin or semi-gloss. I would tape off with painters tape.

• Pjo26908388 Pjo26908388 on Dec 09, 2017
    Use a primer that blocks the stain because it will likely bleed through regular paint. Use Zinzer blocking primer, Kilz blocking primer or Zerolac (not sure if the last one is spelled right). The last one has a shellac that blocks just about anything!

Prime with a couple coats so it doesn't bleed through. As tedious as this is you don't want to do it again...

Then in you can use the paint of your choosing.

• William William on Dec 09, 2017
    You can also white wash them to lighten them and still have some grain show. Just a 50/50 mix of paint and water. Paint it on and gently wipe off some of the paint.

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Dec 09, 2017
    i would use oil based kilz

• Lynne Webb Lynne Webb on Dec 09, 2017
    Paint first with Zinsser 1-2-3. Then, paint with your choice. I did the same over ceramic tile backsplash that didn't match a new granite countertop. Good stuff, that Zinsser 1-2-3!

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 09, 2017
    Kilz paint will cover anything.